Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Avrbuster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by troni View Post
Must of been years since you've been on tools huh? Cause your talking like a office guy.
Well he did get that one right, only it's a little worse!

I learnt 2 things a while ago, never argue with outacontrol on electrical issues, as he is seldom wrong. And he will be wiring my basement when I get ready to do it!

Avrbuster
Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Must of been years since you've been on tools huh? Cause your talking like a office guy. Nobody is going to get a permit to move a plug.

Yes its the canadian electrical code but its a suggested code. Every province has its own legislatio
I'm on the tools right now in fact I do office renos and to move a plug 6" to the left I need a permit and inspection. The same goes for residential.

The code is suggestive yes but its also a legal document.

FYI this is from city of Edmonton website.

Quote:
Permit Requirements
All new electrical installations require a permit, such as:

New construction
Renovations/alterations
Basement developments
Hot tub installations
Garage wiring
Service upgrade
Any additions to an electrical system, adding new circuits/wiring for receptacles and/or lighting, repair/replacement of aluminum wiring and garden shed wiring to name a few.
http://www.edmonton.ca/bylaws_licenc...sidential.aspx

Not saying it doesn't happen from time to time but its a big slap to the bank account if you get caught without one.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM

outacontrol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Must of been years since you've been on tools huh? Cause your talking like a office guy. Nobody is going to get a permit to move a plug.

Yes its the canadian electrical code but its a suggested code. Every province has its own legislatio
Man you are just full great information, are you sitting on the toilet when you write these replies? Cause I think some of your information and advise should be wiped up with some toilet paper and flushed.

The decision to pull a permit is a decision that everyone should make on their own from an educated stand point, you should not be advising people in a public forum that permits are not required.

When did you get your ticket? Does your boss know that you think the Canadian Electrical Code is just a suggested code? The CEC is the mandated legislated code, no if ands or buts about it! Every province has its own legislation - you must be refering the Alberta Standata, which is a document that amends and provides interpretation of the CEC.
As an electrician you can be fined, lose your ticket and even go to jail for breaking the code.

Please think twice before continuing with your miss-informed, and miss-leading information.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM

troni is on a distinguished road

This is tough to do:
Yes you are correct that is the proper way to do it. Thank you. Its tough keeping the proper mindset with a company like the one I work for.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM

Avrbuster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is tough to do:
Yes you are correct that is the proper way to do it. Thank you. Its tough keeping the proper mindset with a company like the one I work for.
I have to say, it's nice to see someone admit they made a mistake on the internet. That is extremely rare. My hat is off to you troni!

On a personal side note, I know it's hard to stand up when you have tons of pressure to cut a few corners and your Bose (or Bosses) tell you to do it. But I would encourage you to voice your concerns. I'm no expert, but I believe in a court of law you are just as culpable as the company and could be open to litigation at a personal level. Don't think for one minute the company is going to stand behind you if sh*t hits the fan!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:27 PM

kole is on a distinguished road

Ok Now that we all know the law anybody have anything else to add to the original topic lol.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 AM

wingedfish is on a distinguished road

I've cut the arc fault plugs off of at least a dozen appliances (window a/c's) do to nuisance tripping. These are CSA mandated on some things for some reason but are just annoying in the field. Cannot imagine why anyone would want one on their tank.

I personally wil not put a gfci on my tank either. To each their own.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 PM

Megalodon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Megalodon

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was doing some searching on arc fault interrupters here. My brother recommended I install one on my circuit breaker since I have a lot of things plugged in my condo and I'm paranoid about fire, especially with four cats that I probably wouldn't be able to all save in the event of a disaster.

That being said, my brother isn't a reefer and understandably isn't considering the damage to a tank being shut off for more than a day, and now that I've read about false trips, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it.

Anyone have any more opinions or insight to share on this? I already have GFCI's up the ying-yang, but I do want the extra protection, not just for my tanks, but my computers and electrical equipment as well. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

In my place in Manitoba I had GFCI/AF breakers in the bedrooms, one of which was my office. I ran some of my tank on it and also had a dedicated 15a circuit installed on a GFIC. I was running halides then and they dont fire on arc fault.

My new place here has similar GFCI/AF breakers, again in bedrooms and one being my office. Thats all I,m running my tank on but I use LED lights now, so no problem and added protection.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:04 AM

Ace22 is on a distinguished road

I am also an interprovincial journeyman electrician for over 35 years. My 2 cents....I personally see nothing wrong with homeowners doing minor electrical work provided it is done properly, it isn't rocket science and anybody can do a good job by doing a little research. I am also not an insurance agent but they would be hard pressed to not pay a claim provided the work was done properly as they would have to prove that the moved outlet was the cause of a claim and that it was not done properly. The fine for not pulling a permit is a joke and very very rarely enforced. Most of the stories about big fines are nothing more than an urban myth. I would also never install an arc fault receptacle anywhere else but a bedroom. These devices were invented for bedrooms as that is where most domestic fires occur. They are not recommended for any cicuit that has arcing loads which is not a problem in a bedroom for the most part but when you plug in somthing like your vacumm cleaner you will get nusiance tripping.
Your tank will probobly have several loads which could cause tripping ie..pump motors and even your heater.
As far as gfci go I wouldn't install one on my reef tank either as they can also cause nusiance tripping and I would rather just take the prcaution of keeping my electrical clean and dry as possible. A gfci is designed to prevent people from being electrocuted they are not designed to protect from fire. I have wired hundreds of outlets in public places for drinking fountains and have never used a gfci for this. I can also find no code rules which mandate such precautions.
I am quite sure the only place a gfci is mandated by code is near your kitchen sink or in your bathroom.
Make sure you have a propely grounded outlet, keep your electrical clean dry and neat and take a chill pill.