Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Arc fault circuit interupter (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83074)

kole 02-14-2012 12:14 AM

Arc fault circuit interupter

I have a gfci installed on the circuit which my tank is connected. I don't have afci's in my panel box and I am thinking I should install at least one on the circuit that my reef tank is connected. Like many people I've had my share of small and large spills luckily no salt water has reached the electrical source. An arc fault interupter would cut the power to the circuit before a fire could start. Who has installed these in their panels? Any electricians here to chime in about afci's?

gregzz4 02-14-2012 12:21 AM

Would a flood ever reach the height of your outlet? Or any exposed wiring where it would be immersed? If not, you may want to avoid the troubles AFCIs can cause with tripping.

Have you read this from Bean Animal's site?
Pros and Cons;

AFCI WHY NOT?

Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters are designed to detect the electrical signature caused by electricity arcing someplace in the circuit. If arcing is detected, the AFCI breaker trips and removes power from the circuit. At first glance the AFCI appears to be a perfect candidate for fish tanks. Where there is water and electricity, there is a significant chance of arcing type fires. The problem is that AFCI breakers have a well deserved bad reputation for nuisance tripping when posed with a complex load such as a motor or ballast. An AFCI would add significant safety to a fish tank setup, but would also expose the livestock to a much higher greater risk of nuisance induced power outages. Most AFCI breakers also incorporate a GFCI into the device. A single GFCI used to power your tank (as mentioned above) is not a good idea. If you do not use AFCI circuit breakers (or the newer AFCI receptacles) then please take the precautions to prevent arcing type fires. That means taking precautions to protect power strips and other devices that will be exposed to moisture, drips and salt creep.

kole 02-14-2012 12:35 AM

Flood would not reach the height of the outlet. Spraying water is another possibility. I have the power bars high up and make drip loops. I had the front pane of glass of a 125 gallon break several years ago, when I found it water was spraying out through the crack. Had it been the back panel the outlets would have been very wet. Didn't think of nuisance outages I'm going to read up on them some more thanks.

troni 02-14-2012 04:19 AM

I'm an electrician, and gfci detects the difference in current coming in on the hot wire and back on the neutral and they must be the same or it trips. That's why they're usednear sinks and stuff. And if you want the extra precaution raise your plugs to a satifying height. Or hardwire them. Use your imagination. Install a box in the wall cavity that has a door which will allow enough room for just your cords to passby and have some plugs inside the box.

outacontrol 02-14-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troni (Post 682030)
I'm an electrician, and gfci detects the difference in current coming in on the hot wire and back on the neutral and they must be the same or it trips. That's why they're usednear sinks and stuff. And if you want the extra precaution raise your plugs to a satifying height. Or hardwire them. Use your imagination. Install a box in the wall cavity that has a door which will allow enough room for just your cords to passby and have some plugs inside the box.

Well I am also an electrician and it is against code to install receptacles in cabinets or cupboards, so that is not very good advice! It is also against code to move your receptacles without a permit, so for most reefers that is not great advice either.
Installing AFCI is probably a good idea, but be:fadein: careful not to put everything on one control device. You don't want your whole tank turning off due a tripped breaker or receptacle. GFCI is a must though!
Buy some good quality powerbars, plug them into GFCI receptacles and always use a drip loop in all your cords.

troni 02-14-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outacontrol (Post 682035)
Well I am also an electrician and it is against code to install receptacles in cabinets or cupboards, so that is not very good advice! It is also against code to move your receptacles without a permit, so for most reefers that is not great advice either.
Installing AFCI is probably a good idea, but be:fadein: careful not to put everything on one control device. You don't want your whole tank turning off due a tripped breaker or receptacle. GFCI is a must though!
Buy some good quality powerbars, plug them into GFCI receptacles and always use a drip loop in all your cords.

Ya your right slipped my mind about cabinet. My excuse is I'm commercial. And no permit need to raise a plug can't think of the rule but I'm pretty sure no permit to move a few plugs. Well not in alberta.

outacontrol 02-14-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troni (Post 682043)
Ya your right slipped my mind about cabinet. My excuse is I'm commercial. And no permit need to raise a plug can't think of the rule but I'm pretty sure no permit to move a few plugs. Well not in alberta.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but wrong again. A permit is required for any change to any electrical system, moving a receptacle is definately a change.
Permits are not required for maintance such as replacement of a receptacle.

Since you brought of the rules, CEC rule 2-004 states; Electrical contractors or others responsible for carrying out the work shall obtain a permit from the inspection department before commencing work with respect to installation, alteration, repair, or extension of any electrical equipment.

This applies to everywhere in Canada as it is the Canadian Electrical Code. It applies to everyone and applies to any changes to any electrical system.

Nate 02-14-2012 05:07 PM

lol

Bazinga!

troni 02-14-2012 05:42 PM

Must of been years since you've been on tools huh? Cause your talking like a office guy. Nobody is going to get a permit to move a plug.

Yes its the canadian electrical code but its a suggested code. Every province has its own legislatio

Lampshade 02-14-2012 06:10 PM

It's still part of the code though, so when your insurance company is looking for ways to not pay you it will for sure come up. For the case of beer it'd cost to get someone to come help out might be worth it.