Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-20-2012, 09:50 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

The problem with USPS is that it gets handed to Canada Post at the border. Complain as you wish about UPS, but after dealing with them daily for over a decade, I can tell you that they are worse. Far worse. In fact, they are a strong contender for the worst company in Canada, period.

Shipping USPS also means no tracking or insurance so there is an additional (potential) risk factor there.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:03 AM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

Usually Poor Service instead of United Parcel Service

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 10-21-2012, 12:24 AM

Reefgoat is on a distinguished road

In my experience UPS only considers it their responsibility to pick up the package, not to ensure it's delivered. I can't believe they think leaving packages on a step in the middle of the day or dropping it in the backyard is acceptable. I go out of my way to avoid using them.

I have generally had good experiences with Canada Post.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 AM

scubadawg is on a distinguished road

The major problem is that is UPS ground, is where they charge you extra with brokerage fees, they have 2 additional shipping methods, express saver, expedited, where brokerage is included, if I have no choice then I will use express saver
Old 10-21-2012, 12:58 AM

JMes is on a distinguished road

Speaking of Canada post. My wife ordered some samples in Sept 2005 from Ontario for our wedding. She never received them. Well,I get a package in July of this year(2012). I was like wtf is this(box was beat up and looked old. I look on the date and it says sept 2005. I cannot believe they lost her package for 7 friggin years! LMAO
Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 AM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMes View Post
Speaking of Canada post. My wife ordered some samples in Sept 2005 from Ontario for our wedding. She never received them. Well,I get a package in July of this year(2012). I was like wtf is this(box was beat up and looked old. I look on the date and it says sept 2005. I cannot believe they lost her package for 7 friggin years! LMAO
LOL And then they tried to ship it to you like "I hope he doesn't notice the date.." my goodness.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:43 AM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

The UPS driver who does the route that my office is on is excellent. Both the Purolator and FedEx drivers on the route have messed up with my packages, but the UPS driver never has (even when one wasn't addressed correctly, he was able to figure it out). I no longer purchase anything from the US that will be sent UPS, except in very rare circumstances for items where I'm saving an extraordinary amount of money.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:00 AM

msjboy is on a distinguished road
Default don't use UPS

Same here, brokeage is a killer even if the item is just $50 or so.... even Fedex charges it but not as much. However, if you are corporate, then it would be ok as you probably have a broker in place.
So, indeed normal US post is the cheapest by far....

msjboy
Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

I have dealt with UPS lots lately because of our dollars value. Anyway, it is not hard at all to avoid brokerage fee. I actually even sign up an account with them so they have my credit card on file. Every shipment, once i got the confirmation number, I call UPS and told them i will do my own clearance. 80% of the time, I don't have to do anything really because it is too much hassle for them to fax me the invoice and shipment detail so i can then send to canada custom, they just do it for me (Without charge) and then pay whatever duty fee using my credit card. :-)

Try it and you will see how easy it is
Old 10-21-2012, 02:25 PM

ColinD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjboy View Post
Same here, brokeage is a killer even if the item is just $50 or so.... even Fedex charges it but not as much. However, if you are corporate, then it would be ok as you probably have a broker in place.
So, indeed normal US post is the cheapest by far....

msjboy
Fed Ex charges a flat brokerage rate of $10. Only other fees you have to pay are the taxes if any extra are owing to the government.
All shipping companies make mistakes, especially when you are dealing with millions of pieces per day (Fed Ex processes close to 4 million pcs through Memphis each night, UPS and DHL aren't far behind in numbers) its the ones that are willing to make it right that I will use.

Colin