Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
Leeanne mentions that he has been eating, but his mouth could have injuries...

Griffie is a very large puffer and I have no idea of how someone would put this fish down. I don't even want to think about it yet... he is a tough fish and I am sure he will be fine.
I didn't see mention of it actually eating only trying to eat. You'd put the fish down by freezing it. Glass isn't like snail shells, it's much harder and when it shatters it can be extremely sharp. A person could easily eat and pass hard shells and many other objects but glass not so much. I've also kept puffers and they certainly are tough but rarely loose there appetite. IMO chances aren't good if it still hasn't eaten.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:18 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Griffie has gone well over 10 days without eating when he ate snails he could not digest. If he was here with me, I would be hard pressed to put a giant puffer into a container and freeze him to death! This fish is more like a human being, or a house pet... to freeze him to death would be out of the question! I am sure I can speak for Leeanne on this as well. I know she will try the mysis when she sees to try it. If I did not live so far away, I would be down there like a shot.

I think it is too soon to do anything. I also recall being advised to feed him only once a week back when I got him. Give him a chance he will come through it, I know he will. I am very attached to this fish even though I don't have him anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I didn't see mention of it actually eating only trying to eat. You'd put the fish down by freezing it. Glass isn't like snail shells, it's much harder and when it shatters it can be extremely sharp. A person could easily eat and pass hard shells and many other objects but glass not so much. I've also kept puffers and they certainly are tough but rarely loose there appetite. IMO chances aren't good if it still hasn't eaten.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:15 AM

Lets all hope for the best.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:24 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

It's all we can do...

Quote:
Lets all hope for the best.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:35 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

freezing fish is a terrible idea if it actually came down to it clove oil is by far the best way to go, not that i want this to end up in that way
Old 12-16-2009, 07:11 AM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Quote:
So has he eaten since the incident? If not you might want to consider my initial suggestion, it's not always easy to do the right thing but often very easy to do the wrong thing.
You might want to READ before you post. See
below for my past post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
he's on the road to recovery, since he did manage to swallow some food this morning and showed interest in it. Stewie's tough stuff. I'm sure he will recover.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
You'd put the fish down by freezing it. Glass isn't like snail shells, it's much harder and when it shatters it can be extremely sharp. A person could easily eat and pass hard shells and many other objects but glass not so much. I've also kept puffers and they certainly are tough but rarely loose there appetite. IMO chances aren't good if it still hasn't eaten.
The fish is recovering and eating... End of story.

WOW! I'd hate to be your fish!! You are QUICK to freeze a fish. I think you better go and do some research on how painful freezing is to a fish and how slow of a time it kills them. FYI - It's not uncommon for scale-less fish (puffers, boxfish, lionfish, etc) to stop eating for various reasons, especially after an injury occures. I have had porcupine puffers in the past not eat for up to two weeks and recover fully. Im not looking for or asking for feedback on what I should do with my injured puffer. However; I appreciate all the kind comments and support regardings Stewie's (A.k.a Griffies) recovery.

This post had gotten way off topic.

Now back on topic...The post is about personal experiance of having a glass, floating thermometer break in a tank and if they suffered any ill effects? How they removed the silver beads? Or did they?

Thanks a bunch

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 12-16-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
freezing fish is a terrible idea if it actually came down to it clove oil is by far the best way to go, not that i want this to end up in that way
+ 1

Old 12-16-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Unfortunately lead is not attracted to a magnet. Only iron, (Fe) is. If those balls are lead, you will have to "find" them.
I did try the magnet idea and you are CORRECT! It didn't work! The lead balls will NOT stick to the magnet. I just removed all the fish, parts of the sand bed, the best I could, running carbon and began a series of water changes.

The manufacter of these thermometers say that the very bottom of the tubes are made up of small parts of metal balls (to help sink) and lead balls.

Thank you for posting!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
The fish is recovering and eating... End of story.

WOW! I'd hate to be your fish!! You are QUICK to freeze a fish. I think you better go and do some research on how painful freezing is to a fish and how slow of a time it kills them. FYI - It's not uncommon for scale-less fish (puffers, boxfish, lionfish, etc) to stop eating for various reasons, especially after an injury occures. I have had porcupine puffers in the past not eat for up to two weeks and recover fully. Im not looking for or asking for feedback on what I should do with my injured puffer. However; I appreciate all the kind comments and support regardings Stewie's (A.k.a Griffies) recovery.
Well obviously I missed that he was eating which is why I simply asked if he was. I don't see the need for the attitude, perhaps you should take your own advice before over reacting and making blunt and insulting assumptions. If a fish is sick and won't recover the humane thing to do is put it down, there are many ways to do this. I'm not pushing for anyone to kill there fish and I only made the suggestion based on the fish not eating which I clearly stated.

When someone becomes attached to a fish I see the situation the same as any other house pet in which case you wouldn't let it suffer and starve to death before making the right decision. This is the only reason I mentioned this option as it was clear the fish had many people that cared for it. If that makes me a terrible fish keeper or person in your books so be it.

Good luck with the fish, glad to hear he's eating.

Last edited by sphelps; 12-16-2009 at 02:10 PM.