Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM

strezman is on a distinguished road

sorry, im really new to this, what is RODI?? i used tap water with water conditioner of course.. i've had my water tested numerous times until my levels were correct? thinking about a 6 line wrasse but might want something a bit more hardy..
Old 06-05-2007, 08:38 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Reverse Osmosis Water with Deionization Cartridge (RODI). Essentially filters all the impurities out of your water before you mix it with the salt. Combats algae growth!

You can but the units reasonably cheap now (and are also great for your icemaker if you have one), but at the same time you can usually buy this water at the LFS.

IMO, not having a RO unit/using RO water is why most new would-be hobbiests decide to call it quits.

Six line should be a good choice. Try and get one that is eating prepared food before you buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strezman View Post
sorry, im really new to this, what is RODI?? i used tap water with water conditioner of course.. i've had my water tested numerous times until my levels were correct? thinking about a 6 line wrasse but might want something a bit more hardy..
Old 06-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

FYI, most members here that have kept a Six Line Wrasse have mentioned aggression problems not to mention an extremely hard time catching them.

I would do some major deep research for livestock selection before making your final choice.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Marie. Give it some time to build up a good population of copepods and other critters in the tank that could provide food for any fish you get that don't take to eating prepared foods right away. This will also give your parameters time to stabilize (even though they seem to be fine so far you could still see a spike at some point).

Patience in this hobby is utmost. If you can make it through this part you should be on your way to a successful reef@

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM

strezman is on a distinguished road

got some good pointers here, keep them comming if youd like. thanks!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Whatever you decide to do, don't make the same mistake many of us do. Don't buy the Damsels. Sure they may look pretty now, but you won't be able to catch them later when you've realized that you hate them.

I second the research thing, many fish look cool but can be a PITA later. IMO start with a false perc, can't go wrong there.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 06-06-2007, 05:29 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I agree with Danny. The damsels are often little terrors. This sounds horrible, but luckily my two damsels were killed by an unusually violent powerhead he he.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz