Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-15-2015, 02:19 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

I know of a lfs that encourages you to bring your water in for testing. I personally don't agree with it one should buy your own test kits. But from a business point of view they are offering free testing in the hopes your there anyways may as well buy something before I go home..

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 02-15-2015, 04:26 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

There are a few reasons I suggest people get a test at the LFS.

1) Most newbies seem to buy crappy test kits to start with because they don't see the value in good test kits even if the LFS tells them so, they still go buy cheap Hagen kits at ValuPetCoSmart. If the LFS tests their sample, and they see how far off their crap kits are, they are more likely to buy good ones.

2) If someone is testing and it doesn't make sense - double check at the LFS. I did this recently.

3) On CanReef, the vast majority are avid hard coral enthusiasts. This does not reflect the average marine hobbyist to walk in through the door of an LFS. There are a lot of tanks out there that don't need to test "the big three" regularly because their tanks don't use it up and they aren't dosing. Occasional testing can help prevent or pinpoint issues though.

4) Someone is asking for advice here on CanReef, and I don't trust their testing. I'd like them to go to the LFS just so I feel like I have numbers to work with. Poor testing can be worse than no testing at all.

5) Someone said already that some people can't afford to have a reef tank and he feels sorry for them (was that you Brad? Feeling sorry doesn't sound like you). I think this is the case for many people. There is a difference between being cheap and simply not being able to afford it. There are lots of people out there who can't afford to buy their dogs and cats top of the line kibble, and there are enthusiasts out there that think if you can't afford the best kibble (or raw even) that you shouldn't have a pet. There are lots of CanReefers with similar thoughts. I'm not one of them.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 02-15-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
(was that you Brad? Feeling sorry doesn't sound like you).
Yes, me. I have my moments. I know people that see wonderful and amazing reefs, and get into the hobby to emulate the tanks that inspired them. They just happen to have a minimum wage job, three kids and a dog eating crap kibble. They mean well, and ask the right questions, but the answers usually involve money of some sort. I do genuinely feel bad for these people. They often are mislead by the Internet masses (mostly newbies themselves) into believing you can build a really nice reef on a really tight budget. I suppose it's possible, but not the usual outcome.
FWIW, if going to the LFS helps them, I don't have a problem with that. It's the guys coming to my house for various reasons, parking their Lexus in my driveway then explaining they don't need to spend money because their friend/neighbour/LFS has what they need.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:48 PM

Brad, you summed up the difference between "cheap" and "can't afford it". CanReef is full of idealists, I used to be one. I'm a decade older and more humble now. I think I had more disposable income a decade ago though.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
It's the guys coming to my house for various reasons, parking their Lexus in my driveway then explaining they don't need to spend money because their friend/neighbour/LFS has what they need.
..and that's why they can have a Lexus. In my limited experience, I've noticed that people who have money are cheap SOB's. Not all, but a good percent. My company does a lot of new homes in British Properties. We're talking $20 million dollar homes with Ferraris in the driveways. Home owners will show up from time to time with a box of Timmies coffee, and actually ask for a loonie per cup. Blows my mind.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
..and that's why they can have a Lexus. In my limited experience, I've noticed that people who have money are cheap SOB's. Not all, but a good percent. My company does a lot of new homes in British Properties. We're talking $20 million dollar homes with Ferraris in the driveways. Home owners will show up from time to time with a box of Timmies coffee, and actually ask for a loonie per cup. Blows my mind.
True. The richest (monetary) people I know are also some of the cheapest. I should work on this.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:55 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
..My company does a lot of new homes in British Properties. We're talking $20 million dollar homes with Ferraris in the driveways. Home owners will show up from time to time with a box of Timmies coffee, and actually ask for a loonie per cup. Blows my mind.
That my friend is the definition of a true hustler lol. Ur lucky they didn't charge delivery and convienience fees
Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

So, what are we talking about now? I skimmed the last few pages and all I got was something about Brad, timmies, 20 million dollar homes, and hustlers ?? Can someone send me Cliff notes on this thread ?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:20 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
So, what are we talking about now? Can someone send me Cliff notes on this thread ?
If you're cheap and don't own your own test kits, you too can one day drive a Lexus and live in a $20,000,000 British Properties mansion.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Anthony
Old 02-16-2015, 12:23 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
If you're cheap and don't own your own test kits, you too can one day drive a Lexus and live in a $20,000,000 British Properties mansion.
If you sell coffee to working class people..