Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2006, 11:35 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road
Default starting the 125 gallon setup

well i got an offer i could not refuse. nicky and mike at hidden reef had a setup that i could not give up. i bought a 135g drilled tank, stand and 6ft hamilton 175w fixture with 3 mh and 2 96w actinics. i'm going to use my 55g as my sump, i'm going with asm g3 skimmer and possibly 2 dart pumps with a closed loop system. this is the first time i've had a sump and a setup this big so i'm looking for advice or tips. currently i just run pc lighting but with the new lighting i have the option of going with 10k or 14k mh and i dont know which to chose. i'm taking this setup slow and i dont want any regrets for purchases or assembly so i'm planning like crazy. i only bought it 2 days ago and just yesterday i was back in there drilling nicky with more questions. is it necessary to run 2 darts (1 for the sump and 1 for the closed loop)? any advice or ideas that you can offer would be awesome. another idea i had was plumbing in my 10g and using the 96w lighting that i have on it now and turn it into a refugium under the stand, but the problem is that it would gravity feed the tank so the display still get the benefit of the pods in the refugium or will the return pump just destroy them? i'm assuming that having the refugium with macro algae will be beneficial enough

my tank setup

Last edited by niloc16; 08-27-2006 at 03:30 AM.