Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-05-2011, 04:29 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I'm loving that Gorg! And your Hanna caps look just like mine. PITA!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Thanks.

Anyone know if that Gorg is Photosynthetics?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Coloured polyps, so it's non-photosynthetic..
Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Coloured polyps, so it's non-photosynthetic..
Hmm, it does not seem react to my spot feeding at all :-(
Old 04-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

What I found with gorgonians, and this applies to photosynthetic gorgonians as well since they still will eat, that particle size is extremely important and that what works for one won't trigger much of a response in another. So try different things until you find the magic food that works. Reef chili, Reef Roids, Acan+, Cyclops-eeze, rotifers, maybe even oyster eggs if the polyps are very small. If you have time and energy maybe try baby brine shrimp.

The most success I've seen with NPS gorgonians (actually for any NPS coral) tends to involve clever DIY strategies for continuous feeding. Things like taking a kalkwasser reactor but instead of using kalk, just feed it tank water and then load it up with the food items of choice (eg. cyclops or whatever) and then mixing all day and dripping the food-laden water into the display tank 24/7 or on some intervals scattered throughout the day.

In some cases I've seen people go way crazy and have a little fridge unit that the food can be stored in so it won't spoil over the course of the day. Or others using fridges and syringe pumps preloaded with mysis or something. Really neat to see ideas folks come up with.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
What I found with gorgonians, and this applies to photosynthetic gorgonians as well since they still will eat, that particle size is extremely important and that what works for one won't trigger much of a response in another. So try different things until you find the magic food that works. Reef chili, Reef Roids, Acan+, Cyclops-eeze, rotifers, maybe even oyster eggs if the polyps are very small. If you have time and energy maybe try baby brine shrimp.

The most success I've seen with NPS gorgonians (actually for any NPS coral) tends to involve clever DIY strategies for continuous feeding. Things like taking a kalkwasser reactor but instead of using kalk, just feed it tank water and then load it up with the food items of choice (eg. cyclops or whatever) and then mixing all day and dripping the food-laden water into the display tank 24/7 or on some intervals scattered throughout the day.

In some cases I've seen people go way crazy and have a little fridge unit that the food can be stored in so it won't spoil over the course of the day. Or others using fridges and syringe pumps preloaded with mysis or something. Really neat to see ideas folks come up with.
Thanks Tony, I have tried Reef chili, Reef Roids, Acan+, Cyclops-eeze but not others, will try them out.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:25 AM

Alright, have not had lots of time lately to enjoy the tank and taking shots but saw my blue linkia are on the front glass so took out camera and snap snap

Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Cugio

This tank looks absolutely amazing in person. I'm still shocked at how large your BTA is. Great job.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cugio View Post
This tank looks absolutely amazing in person. I'm still shocked at how large your BTA is. Great job.
Thanks Donny.

Here is the new addition of the tank. Thanks to fishytime :-). The first clam in my main tank.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 AM

So today, I am getting bored of SPS already and start missing all my LPS. I still have some LPS but not much and they seems to do well in the corner of my tank where i don't really see them. I am missing the waiving actions. Anyway, took some pictures and see how well my sps is growing since Mar. Here are some comparison photo, please ignore the size because i am moving some of them and my camera focus is not at the same distance so they are not 100% correct but you probably see new growth. Now this make me get excited about SPS again lol

This one recovers nicely from a little bleaching when i first got it

Cheers