Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 06-08-2013, 03:52 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Then if you look at it from a point of view that someone who wants to get into the hobby but can't afford or is put off by the high cost of new equipment this is the perfect place to get stuff. I personally wouldn't want to go out and spend $1-3000 on tanks and equipment only to find that for whatever reason can't do it. It is a much easier pill to swallow if it is mostly all gotten for well under 1k.

You will never ever get what you paid for it but at least you get something back and that it isn't cluttering your space up either
Old 06-08-2013, 04:23 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

i hate selling on this forum because of lowballers and some buyer hold you account if something went wrong down the road (like after a week) and it is kind of stupid. So I am no longer post items on here to sell
Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 AM

ImprezaSTi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
Quick economics, ignoring most factors: Forum results in an increase in demand, if the supply stays the same then in theory the price should INCREASE, not decrease.

To give you an example of this, with out the use of a forum for people to see lets say "Tyree Space Monsters" there would be less demand, less people wanting it drives the market price down. I would argue the opposite, a forum increases prices because it increases demand.

That being said the above statement really doesn't hold in a real world argument, too many factors to directly correlate this forum with a supply/demand market.
I would agree with this. I feel the exact opposite as OP. I see many people selling things on here for near retail price because thats how high the demand is for used or discounted items. Many FS threads even sell things the same day it was posted.

I would suggest if you feel like what your selling is worth more, then simply increase the price. However it also depends on the item you are selling. If it is hardware, there may be newer products out, driving demand for the used items down. Thats just an example, there are many other factors that affect the price of a used item. But in general I don't believe that the forums affect prices of the marketplace.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 AM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

Some people do put FIRM ...others OBO so it the first doesnt move, they sooner or later will adjust price. Esoteric, specialized equipment sell better here than a common item like a tank which is common on craigslist, kijijji, usedwhatevvverrr.com and so on and seem to command better, higher prices because of a larger audience too.

Also , for certain instances like moves, or lost of employment, divorces, people sometimes must liquidate quickly thus crazy deals do occur because of the circumstances.