Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Option 4, flush with tank edges, 1/2" pink.
+1, I would even go as far as to a double layer of 3/4" plywood to make sure its nice and stiff

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I use foam under both types.
Me three....

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kole View Post
From what I can tell the sides of the tank are sitting on the bottom glass. Thoughts?
This is not good, you deffinately want to have plywood then foam to support the WHOLE bottom pane so it doesn't crack.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Fwiw, the foam comes in pink, blue, or purple depending on brand. I have all three colors. As long as it is rigid styrofoam you're good.

This is what it looks like (these are small pieces):

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM

kole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
This is not good, you deffinately want to have plywood then foam to support the WHOLE bottom pane so it doesn't crack.
Got the correct foam now thanks Myka. Grizz why do you say this? I had to replace a front pane of glass in a 125 and if I remember correctly the sides were sitting on the bottom pane. It was a while ago so I may be mistaken. I thought it would only need to be supported by the outside edge as with other tanks.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

With the sides, front and back glass sitting on top of the bottom pane of glass there is way more chance of the tank cracking under the weight of the side glass. All it take is to get one corner a little higher then the rest and you have a stress point. make sure that the bottom of the tank is sitting perfectly flat EVERY WHERE. A properly built tank has all side on the outside of the bottom pane, its called a floating bottom.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

i thinn the 180s are built like koles i just took off my broken piece of glass and found that it too sits on the bottom pane.. not sure why they did this with 180's but thats what caused me to make a measurment mistake of 1/2 inch.oops but i too will be doing plywood then foam then tank.

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428

Last edited by lockrookie; 03-12-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Hmmm...I don't have any tanks designed like that. Maybe ask a tank builder for their opinion?

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:15 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Most standard tanks from builders have the sides on top. The other method is actually more of a DIY thing that some custom builders do as well. Professional builders will make sure the glass is flat and has enough silicone in the seam so the glass will not chip. For exceptionally large tanks above the standard you see more of the base within approach as the glass is thicker and heavier but these will also come with specific requirements regarding supporting the entire tank area.

The reason why the "sides on top" method is used is it can be supported by the standard trim around the edges and doesn't require full support under the entire tank area. This works better with standard stands and eliminates the need for foam or other layers between the tank and stand. Despite what we all believe to be better practice, placing foam between a tank with trim and the stand is not required.

Last edited by sphelps; 03-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 AM

kole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockrookie View Post
i thinn the 180s are built like koles i just took off my broken piece of glass and found that it too sits on the bottom pane.. i too will be doing plywood then foam then tank.
Thanks lockrookie I thought I had seen this before on a 125.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Most standard tanks from builders have the sides on top. The other method is actually more of a DIY thing that some custom builders do as well. Professional builders will make sure the glass is flat and has enough silicone in the seam so the glass will not chip. For exceptionally large tanks above the standard you see more of the base within approach as the glass is thicker and heavier but these will also come with specific requirements regarding supporting the entire tank area.

The reason why the "sides on top" method is used is it can be supported by the standard trim around the edges and doesn't require full support under the entire tank area. This works better with standard stands and eliminates the need for foam or other layers between the tank and stand. Despite what we all believe to be better practice, placing foam between a tank with trim and the stand is not required.
Sphelps I have read something like this on an old thread on another site. It was posted by a person who was said to be in the aquarium building industry with a larger company. glass less than an inch can be placed on top of the bottom pane.

I have read so much my head hurts lol.. My only concern with supporting the tank with plywood and then styrofoam is the bottom of the tank is almost flat it is only raised by the 90 degree angle piece of plastic trim. So when the edges of the tank sinks into the styrofoam the bottom pane will have upward pressure placed on it by the styrofoam. Thoughts?