Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 07-14-2012, 10:06 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road
Default LOSING A FISH SUCKS. IT FEELS EVEN WORSE WHEN YOU KILLED IT!

It seems I accidently killed my CBB. I just feel terrible.

I have some large, very greedy fish and the CBB doesn't always get his share at feeding time. I drilled some 1/4" holes in a small plastic box with lid. Put some fresh clam meat, mussels etc in it, weigh it down with a small rock so it sinks. None of the other fish can get their noses in so the CBB gets it all to himself. I have been doing this a couple times a week for years and he was fat & healthy. Last night I got called away for an emergency and got home late. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to remove the plastic box. It seems he got his nose stuck in the box and then in panic got the box wedged in the rockwork. I found him this morning beat up badly and barely alive. I removed him to the QT but he died shortly after. I'm guessing while caught in the rock he was panicked and stressed. One or more of the other fish attacked him as there were several large bites on him. Bloody fish are just like chickens: Pick on the weak one! Possible culprits would be the Tuskfish, Sailfin or Angel: They are the most aggressive and happen to be the largest as well.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Dang, sorry to hear about the loss of your CBB. It's hard enough to get one to live for more than a few weeks/months, but to lose it like this must suck soooo bad.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

We know all about that, sorry for your loss.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:22 PM

Aysha is on a distinguished road

Ahw I'm sorry to read about your fish friend. We all get that fishy guilt at one time or another. You did your best for him esp when you consider what seahorse said.Most CBB only seem to live a few months at best in captivity.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I imagine the other fish got jealous of the special treatment and went godfather styles on his arse.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I just lost an Emperor Angel and a Flame Angel. Both were my favorite fish in the tank. It truely sucks to lose fish.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 07-15-2012, 01:13 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

that sucks. I recently lost my maroon clown (old age) and my cowfish (got stuck in the rockwork stressed out and died) must say it's never easy loosing a fish.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:15 AM

foxfishfan is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your cbb. Those guys can look like they're healthy the night before and then you wake up and they're goners. Luckily, my present cbb has survived an amazing 8 months so they sometimes have staying power. However, I have killed 2 gobies whilst moving reorganizing the tank so yes I know the guilt of accidental death.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:35 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

It's really sad but you are in no way responsible. YOu did this with good intention and it's been working for years so you had no way to predict this outcome.

Sh** happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
It seems I accidently killed my CBB. I just feel terrible.

I have some large, very greedy fish and the CBB doesn't always get his share at feeding time. I drilled some 1/4" holes in a small plastic box with lid. Put some fresh clam meat, mussels etc in it, weigh it down with a small rock so it sinks. None of the other fish can get their noses in so the CBB gets it all to himself. I have been doing this a couple times a week for years and he was fat & healthy. Last night I got called away for an emergency and got home late. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to remove the plastic box. It seems he got his nose stuck in the box and then in panic got the box wedged in the rockwork. I found him this morning beat up badly and barely alive. I removed him to the QT but he died shortly after. I'm guessing while caught in the rock he was panicked and stressed. One or more of the other fish attacked him as there were several large bites on him. Bloody fish are just like chickens: Pick on the weak one! Possible culprits would be the Tuskfish, Sailfin or Angel: They are the most aggressive and happen to be the largest as well.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:08 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
It's really sad but you are in no way responsible. YOu did this with good intention and it's been working for years so you had no way to predict this outcome.

Sh** happens.
+1

sorry for your loss

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 07-15-2012, 04:22 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Aww, sorry to hear that Lance

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.