Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-19-2015, 06:33 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Whoops. I misread this thread title. Thought it was Mortality and Fish. Now I see it is Morality. Sorry for going off topic. Well, in terms of morality, I see it as a bell curve. Most of us are in the middle somewhere but there are always a few few select few who are extreme on each side.

Last edited by Samw; 02-19-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:46 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

I really wanted a moorish idol I knew they where difficult almost bought one but then I found my false idol (can't remember the name of it) and it appeased my desire lol for now

My tank just has too many issues to speak of right now but for the most part I can keep my fish alive corals not so much. I've tried a sting ray that lasted 4 days poor guy. Would I get another. Most likely not

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 02-19-2015, 07:50 AM

EarthEaterBob is on a distinguished road

It is a reality that by being in this hobby, we are directly contributing to the degradation of coral reefs and other marine habitats around the world for collection for the aquarium trade. I'd like to say all my stuff is aqua cultured, but it ain't.

On the flip side, collection for the aquarium trade is a very small fraction of what causes habitat loss and falling fish stocks so, eh

Maybe one day we'll only have hand net caught collected in an environmentally sensitive manner and all corals will only come from aquaculture but until then...
Old 02-19-2015, 12:51 PM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthEaterBob View Post
It is a reality that by being in this hobby, we are directly contributing to the degradation of coral reefs and other marine habitats around the world for collection for the aquarium trade. I'd like to say all my stuff is aqua cultured, but it ain't.
I would agree with you if we are talking about remote, uninhabited regions that would be otherwise untouched but for the aquarium trade. If there are such areas I would support a complete ban on all commercial activities including tourism, only allowing authorized researchers access.

Areas that I am aware of where our aquarium stuff comes from (Fiji, Maldives, Indonesia, Philippines, Hawaii, etc) are places that have people who reside there and the reefs are part of their lives. They are not any better or worse at protecting and conserving their local habitat than we are, which is to say that they are terrible. I live in Saskatchewan. How much natural prairie do we have left? Almost none. Might some of it have been kept if there was a monetary reason to do so? You bet! For people who live near reefs the reefs are often their supply of food, building materials, recreation, and a place to dump garbage. If you are concerned about the amount of live rock harvested for the aquarium trade, think about the amount of rock removed to make roads! By making reefs economically valuable to the people who live there I think we can help preserve and conserve, adding a net positive to reefs that might otherwise be destroyed by typical human activity.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:40 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I've found that most of my fish are highly immoral. They are constantly bickering with one another for food and territory. They don't know how to share at all. For example, whenever I add new fish they usually try to kill it! I have to take extra measures to ensure the safety of the new habitant. Also, my clown fish takes scales out of anyone who gets near their anemone. My 4 stripe damsel bites me and draws blood from my skin every time my hands are in the tank.

I often wish that my fish had higher morals. Maybe it's just me..
Old 02-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I added a filthy sand-bed for my wrasse to make him happy. He likes to try and kill me through the glass to show his gratitude. #ThanklessMoralReefing
Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Live Aquaria lists the leopard wrasse as "expert only" but Big Al's had one for $15, it was so cheap I got it anyway. I tried all the recommended things to get it to eat but it wouldn't touch anything so I figured he was a goner. I just started feeding regular small pellet food again in my tank. The wrasse dashed out and gobbled down all the pellets it could and has been fat and friendly ever since. My point being that as long as people are willing to put an effort into a fishes well being then give it a try. An unhealthy tank is just a source of frustration and if someone's fish just keep dying they probably won't be in the hobby long anyway.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

My first Leopard Wrasse came out of the bag and did great. Lost it a couple years back, so tried again. Went through 6 before giving up.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I currently have 4 ornate leopard wrasses, 3 female reg. leopards, 1 black leopard. Love them.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:03 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I currently have none, gave my black away for digging