Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Who uses a quarantine tank?
I quarantine everything 5 4.42%
I quarantine only my fish 18 15.93%
I quarantine and use dip/bath 9 7.96%
I only use a dip/bath 7 6.19%
I don’t quarantine or use a dip/bath 74 65.49%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2007, 11:46 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I dip all my frags going in, and if I can, I dip them on the way out as well. I use Tropic Marin Coral Pro Cure, and Interceptor (only if I feel a need, and only on incoming frags). I never used to dip frags, but after a complete tank wipe out, frags, and fish in 2005 due to red bugs, I am compulsive about it.

I don't currently use QT because I'm not adding anything anymore, and I have a severe space restriction. However, I used to QT and did hyposalinity on fish when possible.

Last edited by michika; 08-18-2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2007, 03:12 AM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Fish get quarantine.

Acros get quarantine and red bug treatment.

All my corals are going to get Flatworm Exit as well from now on.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Fish get quarantine.

Acros get quarantine and red bug treatment.

All my corals are going to get Flatworm Exit as well from now on.
I assume all the treatments are for incoming corals? May I ask what using Flatworm Exit is like?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
I assume all the treatments are for incoming corals? May I ask what using Flatworm Exit is like?
I just did it yesterday. Cost me my White Cheek Tang Multiply the number of flatworms you can see by 2 or 3 hundred to give you the total number in your tank.

I thought I was witnessing the end of my tank. I'm going to do another treatment next Saturday to make sure I got them all. I hope I never see the little buggers again! From now on everything incoming will be treated.

Cryptocaryon, Red Bugs, Flatworms. Sometimes I wonder why I keep an aquarium! The only line of defense is quarantine to keep them all out.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:24 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that. So your treating your whole tank right now with flatworm exit, and then from now on you'll treat each individual incoming coral?
Old 08-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that. So your treating your whole tank right now with flatworm exit, and then from now on you'll treat each individual incoming coral?
That's the plan.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Where do you get your flatworm exit. I understand it doesn't meet Canadian standards for "drugs" and therefore most stores don't sell it. J&L has pulled it too.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:18 AM

Gordon H is on a distinguished road
Default Quarantine or dip

I had been using a quarantine for about six months, and then was advised against it by my LFS. It appeared that about 1/3 of the peopleworking at the LFS did baths and used a quarantine and the other 2/3 did not. I discussed the issue at length with a group of people working at the LFS and at the end of the day, concluded that I would not dip or use a QT. While everything on the Internet and in the books strongly suggests a quarantine, the arguments against using one seem equally as strong. The main argument is that the strongest determinant of fish health is water quality and that it is almost impossible to get as good a water quality in your QT as it is in your display tank. Unless you are willing to basically duplicate the equipment from your display on your QT, you might be doing the fish more harm than good by using a QT. This seems to be the conclusion reached by most of the people working at the LFS.

Am I the only one that has come to this same conclusion? Not according to the results of the poll ;-)
Old 08-20-2007, 12:46 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon H View Post
I had been using a quarantine for about six months, and then was advised against it by my LFS. It appeared that about 1/3 of the peopleworking at the LFS did baths and used a quarantine and the other 2/3 did not. I discussed the issue at length with a group of people working at the LFS and at the end of the day, concluded that I would not dip or use a QT. While everything on the Internet and in the books strongly suggests a quarantine, the arguments against using one seem equally as strong. The main argument is that the strongest determinant of fish health is water quality and that it is almost impossible to get as good a water quality in your QT as it is in your display tank. Unless you are willing to basically duplicate the equipment from your display on your QT, you might be doing the fish more harm than good by using a QT. This seems to be the conclusion reached by most of the people working at the LFS.

Am I the only one that has come to this same conclusion? Not according to the results of the poll ;-)
To me the biggest reason to quarantine new fish is to protect the fish that you already have in your tank. If I hadn't quarantined my achilles tang I would of lost all of my fish to marine velvet

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 AM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

Except for Gordon H, everyone posting a reply is in favor of quarantine and/or dipping, often because of personal experience. If done properly, I think the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives.

Maybe we should talk about ways to quarantine that reduce stress on the animals/corals. If done poorly, it may just add more stress to the anima or coral. I am always worried about plopping a fish into a newly set up quarantine tank with the potential added stress of the tank cycling. Therefore, I have a 44 gal tank always running with a filter, protein skimmer, and a few permanent resident fish. As a result, the quarantine tank is already stable. I do weekly water changes, alternating between new SW and water from the main tank. Before moving a fish out of the quarantine tank, I will do additional water changes using water from the main tank so the water in both tanks is as similar as possible. However, this requires additional time to keep the quarantine tank running constantly; but personally I think it provides the least amount of stress on new arrivals.
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few