Default Nudibranchs

Thanks Ivy (Xtasia),

A better Link for David's book is:
http://www.seachallengers.com/index....=11&itemID=400

or
https://www.oceanaquatics.com/view_p...uct=NUDO5OVM35

Nudibranchs and Sea Snails - Helmut Debelius
http://www.seachallengers.com/index....D=3&itemID=124
This book is one of the most detailed and comprehensive available. There is some info on diet etc. but mostly this is a identification book with details more on behavior and location of habitat.

1001 Nudibranchs - Neville Colemann
http://www.seachallengers.com/index....D=3&itemID=228
Another great ID book.

Although difficult to see the top of the Nudibranch this would be either Chromodoris annae , Chromodoris magnifica or Chromodoris elisabethina.
As it appears from the side I am leaning toward Chromodoris magnifica.
This species is both commonly imported (unfortunately) but also occurs in an area your local store most likely purchases from. The Chromodoris westraliensis occurs in Australia and most likely would not be exported with any frequency.

Now for the pot stirring part of my post.......
I find it disappointing that this was purchased by a senior member (FTOTM Committee) of Canreef.
The post and purchase demonstrate classic beginner blunders of Buy/Try/Die/Replace or "buy now, figure out if I can keep it later". Many aquarist and beginners look to this site for advice and model after the more experienced aquarists.

How are they supposed to become conscious and successful aquarists when this is the examples laid before them?

Quote:
It is cool. I bought it for 9 bucks as a Nudibranch, they said it eats sponges, which I have lots of. I hope to see it again soon.
When you bought this item you voted with your dollars. You told the store that "It's okay to sell me things that I can't keep and will die".

Most, if not all experienced aquarists consider Nudibranchs as animals that should not be imported, period. This animal will die a slow, starving death in your aquarium.

Quote:
I don't know about the exact name, but it does look like they eat sponges.
A LFS actually tells the truth!
If a statement is incomplete does it make it all true?
They do eat sponges, however they are most often specific to particular sponges and will not eat all species. If an aquarist was lucky enough to have the correct sponge, it is most likely that the Nudibranch would consume the sponge faster than the sponge could regenerate.

Bottom line is:
You lost$9 and doomed an animal.
The Nudibranch lost it's life.
The store made money.

And the winner is?..........

Last edited by Van down by the river; 02-16-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:05 AM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

Van down by the river wrote:
Quote:
Now for the pot stirring part of my post.......
I find it disappointing that this was purchased by a senior member (FTOTM Committee) of Canreef.
The post and purchase demonstrate classic beginner blunders of Buy/Try/Die/Replace or "buy now, figure out if I can keep it later". Many aquarist and beginners look to this site for advice and model after the more experienced aquarists.
How are they supposed to become conscious and successful aquarists when this is the examples laid before them?
Well I guess LFS's should demonstrate the same practices when they order there fish and corals. I heard that a LFS here in the lower mainland was ordering, stocking, and selling corals that were loosing all color pigments (except brown) due to poor housekeeping. I thought I heard it was in regards to not replacing a few old metal halide bulbs on some of there holding tanks.

So maybe we need to not only think about what livestock we purchase, but also who we purchase it from.

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium

Last edited by sumpfinfishe; 02-16-2006 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:15 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Van, you are right.

I ask you though, have you never bought anything under the same circumstances as me? Who hasn't?

It was a calulated buy based on the advice given. If over 50 years ago nobody ever imported rare marine fish, we would not have this hobby today. We owe the pioneers of the past half a century our gratitude for their trial and error. Without it, we wouldn't have developed methods and technology to keeps these creatures alive in our homes.

I'm not saying I'll discover how to keep nudi's long term, but you can't condemn me for trying.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041

Last edited by danny zubot; 02-16-2006 at 02:27 PM.