Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 AM

-=James=- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockrookie View Post
sounds very feasable and definately cheaper. as you wont be setting lights on the bracing again
Perfect, I think I will be going that route. Although I would love to get real eurobracing done, its a little expensive at this point...I might as well spend a bit more and get a new tank. Live and learn.

And no halides will be going near the glass anytime soon haha. There should be a sticky for newbies to learn from others mistakes.

Lesson 1: Get tempered glass for crossbraces
Lesson 2: Get eurobracing done and no cross braces if possible.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:32 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

dont beat yourself up too much things happen and it could have been worse.. in the end your tank had a minor glitch that is soon to be rectified. and you will carry on and enjoy. in this hobby everyone has an issue of some sort i know a guy just in the first fill his eurobracing broke. just a flaw in theglass.

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 01-28-2012, 02:39 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

lockrookie is correct regarding the tank not actually being euro braced so the centers are structural. However it is still overkill and I can suggest two new options that may not have been discussed yet.

1. Leave the tank as is and silicone a 6mm center brace directly on top of the existing cracked brace. Requires no removal of trim or other modifications and will provide enough reinforcement to the crack brace. By far the cheapest and easiest solution but not the prettiest and could disrupt light depending on how they are setup.

2. Remove both center braces. Install new euro brace, however all the tank needs is the front and rear pieces, not sides. The 1.5" current brace can also stay in place, install a new 4" euro underneath the current 1.5". Not sure how easy this option is but to me if you're already willing to remove one center brace the outcome of this option is best.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM

These look like my best 2 options right now. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
lockrookie is correct regarding the tank not actually being euro braced so the centers are structural. However it is still overkill and I can suggest two new options that may not have been discussed yet.

1. Leave the tank as is and silicone a 6mm center brace directly on top of the existing cracked brace. Requires no removal of trim or other modifications and will provide enough reinforcement to the crack brace. By far the cheapest and easiest solution but not the prettiest and could disrupt light depending on how they are setup.
I was thinking exactly this but i'm not sure how bad the light penetration would be. Definitely the easiest route though. Might consider this instead of replacing the brace.

Quote:
2. Remove both center braces. Install new euro brace, however all the tank needs is the front and rear pieces, not sides. The 1.5" current brace can also stay in place, install a new 4" euro underneath the current 1.5". Not sure how easy this option is but to me if you're already willing to remove one center brace the outcome of this option is best.
This was what the best option looks like, but also the most expensive as I would hire someone to come over and do the job.

I didnt think of installing a new eurobrace under the old one and leaving the old one in place, very clever and I think that will work and be a cheap choice as well. This way, I dont need to hire the LFS to remove the old braces and install new ones.

***Can someone confirm if installing a new eurobrace UNDER the old one will be as effective as replacing the old eurobrace? And if installed under, should I remove or leave the cross braces? This is looking like the most promising alternative!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:25 PM

personally i thinkputting it under your current brace will hinder your overflow too much stickwith current plan replace broken glass letcure for 24 hours and your set back to original

Old 01-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
1. Leave the tank as is and silicone a 6mm center brace directly on top of the existing cracked brace.
My idea got vetoed already!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
My idea got vetoed already!
lol not vetoed it was still an option

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 AM

Update:

Got a hookup on a free piece of tempered glass and replaced it while half the water was drained. I did not use clamps because the tank is too close to the wall and I didnt want to risk more damage.

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice!