Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-26-2011, 04:54 AM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

doch everytime i read your name really fast i think im reading douche. lol but im sure your not. i ordered Sunlight Supply 36" 6x39W Tek Light T5 High-Output Fixture (Black) from concept aquatics. i think i will be happy with that, im planning on having an open top so i wanted a decent looking fixture.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Yeah exact same pumps just different shrouds =)

Nice thing about the smaller Tunzes is the fact that they put out what they're advertised to put out more or less.

i guess you live and learn. gotta do a little more research i guess next time. never had tunze before but i know they are a very good powerhead.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
I liked the KZ line... 2x super Blue, 2x New Gen, and 2x Fiji Purple. Nice blue, but not too much.
Out of a 6 bulb fixture i wouldn't run 2 fiji purples would be too pink, i tried 2 on 8 bulbs and it was overwhelming.

360 Reef Tank
Old 07-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I have 6 t5s and 2 of them are Fiji purples. I like it and most people that come over like the Colour. I think it's all personal preference.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:39 PM

ive never run t5's so its a first for me, ive seen tanks with them and think i will like them. the whole bulb configuration i know is a personal preference thing, but since ive never had them i havent had the opportunity to try out different bulb configurations. hopefully i get it close enough on the first try, if not i will just have to buy one bulb.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:33 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomboy View Post
doch everytime i read your name really fast i think im reading douche. lol but im sure your not. i ordered Sunlight Supply 36" 6x39W Tek Light T5 High-Output Fixture (Black) from concept aquatics. i think i will be happy with that, im planning on having an open top so i wanted a decent looking fixture.
HAHAHA! I'm sure you're not the only one! My last name is MurDOCH! I titled my tank journal 'Murdoch's 160 gal Upgrade' to shed some light.

I too picked up the 6 bulb t5 tek light... along with another 4 bulb tek for 10 in total. The 6 is good... one of the cords powers the 2 outer most bulbs... the other powers the inner 4. Put your Super blues on the outside and you're laughing!

On my old tank I always ran the combo that I mentioned... 2xnew gen, 2x super blue and 2x fiji purple... I didn't find it pink at all. I loved the colour. Like Dez said though, it's all a matter of personal preference. Worst case scenario, if you find it to be too pink, pull one and replace it with another new gen, and save the FP for your next bulb swap.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 08-12-2011, 03:29 AM

well small update.

i finished the stand, didnt want anything fancy just something simple.
this tank also only cost me 20 bucks. ( the paint cost that much)

just got to put these on the door and it should be done.

also tank update apparently with the last update the tank will be here this sunday with the rest of my goodies cant wait to fill this up with water and get those rocks in.

doch i forget which bulbs i got but i will let you know what i got and how much i like it once set up.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:07 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Well I obviously dig the stand... looks great =) How is your door attached? Mine just seats in a groove and magnets (sorta) hold it in place...
Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 PM

as of right now it just sit there, but im putting on those magnets to hold it in place then i just press the door in slightly and it pops out more and i pull it off. simple and not complicated. just the way i like it.

i was going for the groove to hold it in place but then just said forget it and get magnets. the door itself is very light as its only 3/8 plywood and a bit of trim.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'd seal the top of the plywood as well btw...