Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-04-2008, 03:17 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

The make SCWDs now that are one inch and handle more flow.
You could run one inch all the way through that way, and you don't have to use hose clamps because they come threaded. Just a suggestion not sure if you knew about them as I don't think they have been around long.
Rock looks great. Looking forward to seeing more.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:52 AM

argan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to argan

Yea i heard about the one inch SCWDs a few days ago, but i'm happy with these for now. they didn't have any in stock when i bought mine.

Hillbilly, that is sand from a red sea max. got it for a sweet deal cause the owner of the max didn't like the look.

on a side note i was looking at my tank today and saw a baby cerith snail, a baby trochus, and a 5mm sally lightfoot i thought i'd never see again (until it got big that is) also saw some new kind of isopod. i've got lots of little lipmets and astreas but first time seeing trochus and ceriths.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:20 AM

Default updates

Made one of three reflectors today, for the DIY MH hood. I used aluminum flashing and aluminum rivets

A little rough on the corners

here is the light mounted and riveted

I powered up the lamp and got pretty excited. Bright!!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 PM

some things i have done ramping up to the big tank since last post,

---Went to the frag auction, got 6 frags, 5 sps and a ricordia yuma.
All are doing well, with nice PE. The colors are where i expected they would be with just the PC lighting but i'd rather have Brownipora than Noneipora.
Getting some nice growth from the lavender Digita from JasonMck, and the TOTM stag and hydnophora from TomR .

---Started putting Nerite snails in my tank after seeing them in a friends tank.
Wow they make all my other snails look like slackers with the way they clean my glass

---Made another batch of rock, one with 3 teirs.

---Started cycling some of the dry Man-made rock in the basement with some seed rock from my tank.

The main reason my tank isnt wet yet is because my brother is living in the future tank room. poor planning on my part but he will perhaps be moving out at the end of august. By then i will have a stand and the hood will be done and most of the rock should be Alive.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 PM

Long time since i updated, mostly because I was waiting for my bro to move out, and now he has.

So now i have all the DIY rock freshwater cured and saltwater alive. I would guess I made about 150-200 lbs. never bothered to weigh it. 2 big pieces went into my friends tank, but im happy with the amount i have for now.

For the auqascaping i'm toying with a few Ideas:

1) pvc arches and supports like Superfudge's and Niloc's tanks

2) Glass bottles and maybe a rock structure that looks like a Ship's bow coming out of the sandbed, for a shipwreck look.
(anyone ever seen a tank like that?) ***Dec. 11, This Idea Dismissed***

3) pondfoam on the back wall, but only on the upper half of it? so i can see behind the rocks

Last edited by argan; 12-11-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:32 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I've debated back and forth on going with pond foam myself, I still haven't made up my mind.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 PM

For those people who have built walls and/or knocked them down for their Fish rooms, Do we have to worry about building codes or permits?

My brother-inlaw is a drywaller so he knows a bit about framing, should we be able to get by? or should i get a contractor?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:50 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by argan View Post
For those people who have built walls and/or knocked them down for their Fish rooms, Do we have to worry about building codes or permits?

My brother-inlaw is a drywaller so he knows a bit about framing, should we be able to get by? or should i get a contractor?
if you are not touching electrical, plumbing or structure than no. But if you just do it who will know. If you are compentent in doing the electrical and plumbing yourself and you know its not a loadbearing wall, you should be able to get a homeowners permit for cheep, but they will want to see drawings of what you intend on doing and may or may not require an inspection. Just go to the city hall and with out givething your name explain what you are planning to do and ask if you need a permit or not.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:41 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by argan View Post
Nope, no permit required.

ie; Removing a wall to make 2 small rooms into 1 large room, removing a portion of a wall to create an entry way, adding or relocating wall(s) to create new room space

But of course, unless you come across plumbing or electrical, that is something that someone qualified should handle.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM

The wall to be knocked down has one electrical outlet, but my bro is certified electrician so i'll be ok there.

The one to be built will just be a blank wall basically, maybe with some built-in shelves.

So far for tanks i have the 225g display, 90g sump, 55g refugium, and 33g QT/frag tank. I always wonder if people have their QT tanks plumbed into their main systems, or on its own?
What are the schools of thought on this?