Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I think it's all going to depend on the inspector cause we all have different stories for plumbing

I did have plumber pull my pluming permit cause I had him finish running the gas lines for the furnace and water heater but I changed my bathroom rough in and plumbed the hot and cold water lines in the rest of the house by myself and the inspector had no problem with that. I was told if I wanted a double bathroom sink I could either share a pee trap just like a kitchen sink or I had to run a separate drain pipe and vent. If I wanted a laundry sink in the mechanical room (which I did) I'd have to break open more floor and run a new vent. I also had to change my 1.5" tub drain to a 2" for the stand up shower while a friend of mine in the city didn't have to.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

must be nice to get that plumbing permit, here they sure don't let us do it ourself.

Electrical yes, everything else yes. Just not the plumbing. You should have seen the fees for a 3 piece bathroom rough-in, no fixtures, just a shower. OUCH!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:09 PM

Come to think of it a friend of mine in Calgary pulled a plumbing permit without a plumber for his basement.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

I am going to get a plumper to run the plumping, I can't event plump my fish tank so don't think i want to take a chance lol.

Electrical on the other hand, it is something i enjoyed doing lol except for the electrical shock part.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 AM

Default Help! Any floor designer out there :-)

Well here is my current layout

Problem is i would like to put a laundry tub in the fish room but need to be as close to wash room as possible because of the height to the drain (sharing the drain with the toilet)

I can put the laundry right beside the wall next to the bath tub but then i am need to shorten my desired tank length so i can have a comfort entrance to fish room.

So i am facing dilemma: short tank with laundry sink or longer tank without laundry sink. Maybe some one has a better idea to redesign the whole freaking thing

Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 01:32 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

coleus

you can replace the bathroom sink with a NICER laundry sink. Home depot and Rona and probably the rest of the big box stores have laundry sinks that kind of look like bathroom vanities - they are deep but have a vanity surround. You can even get them with a spray hose like the kitchen sink. Its a basement bathroom so it doesnt have to be granite and italian ceramics

Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

2 birds with one stone that way and in the pic i posted you see they have an insert for the sink so i can double as a work area for fragging and what not
Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM

Would it be possible to move the fish room into the mechanical room?

Push the fish tank back against the wall and then some run a few lines from the tank to the mechanical room. The lines would have to go behind the tub but you'd only need a couple inches, just frame the tub a few inches from the exterior wall. This way you get to use the floor drain in the mech room for any spills and when all your construction and work is signed off just add a laundry sink then. You could even just run it right into the floor drain, won't meet code but for what you're using it for it won't matter.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 PM

Okguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post

Push the fish tank back against the wall and then some run a few lines from the tank to the mechanical room. The lines would have to go behind the tub but you'd only need a couple inches, just frame the tub a few inches from the exterior wall. This way you get to use the floor drain in the mech room for any spills and when all your construction and work is signed off just add a laundry sink then. You could even just run it right into the floor drain, won't meet code but for what you're using it for it won't matter.
+1

If you do this when it's time to sell you can take the tank with you and not alienate potential buyers who do not want a tank in their basement or a fishroom in their bathroom.

I hate how builders waste space and I also have no idea about how plumbing\venting works or if your drawings are to scale but if you move the hot water tank (again I have no idea if this is even possible or the cost involved) to be against the wall between the furnace and the tub you could build a closet around the whole thing and have a fairly sizable extra room.

It would be a fantastic fishroom for you but when it's time to sell it would be a pretty cheap conversion to an office or extra bedroom.

Just a thought...

50g tank 23g DIY Acrylic Sump\Refugium

Sold Dec 2009

Vacation Fun: http://members.shaw.ca/cabin54/
Old 02-28-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
coleus

you can replace the bathroom sink with a NICER laundry sink. Home depot and Rona and probably the rest of the big box stores have laundry sinks that kind of look like bathroom vanities -
Will definitely check out the sink. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post

Right now, i have a laundry sink that hook up to the floor drain for fish stuff but a plumber came out and recommend me not to use it because it will eventually stink up because of amount of fish poop i keep pouring into it :-). Original plan that i had is to have the sink to the far right corner of the room and run a line (simmilar to what you describe) to the mechanical room drain. You mention it wont meet the code so if i put some pipe there without hooking up the sink yet, the inspector come and see that then what happens? Will he ask me to remove it?

I also plan to make another floor drain beside the fish tank for water change. Would be nice to have everything right beside the fish tank so I don't have to walk between rooms. I definitely want an in wall tank so that i can view it from behind too. I probably run into problem with resell in future, but if i can enjoy a nice fish tank for at least 18 years, i think it is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okguy View Post
+1

If you do this when it's time to sell you can take the tank with you and not alienate potential buyers who do not want a tank in their basement or a fishroom in their bathroom.

I hate how builders waste space and I also have no idea about how plumbing\venting works or if your drawings are to scale but if you move the hot water tank (again I have no idea if this is even possible or the cost involved) to be against the wall between the furnace and the tub you could build a closet around the whole thing and have a fairly sizable extra room.

It would be a fantastic fishroom for you but when it's time to sell it would be a pretty cheap conversion to an office or extra bedroom.

Just a thought...
Not going to move anytime soon unless i hit 649 lol :-). I think the furnace need a some kind of space clearance for air so it is a no go to move the hot water tank to that spot. If we happen to sell the house, i think we can easily knock down the wall