Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
PLC controller sounds a little overkill - even at cost its still going to be loads more expensive than a fully kitted Neptune system. There is nothing you cant do with a Neptune kit AND it has a PC and NET based interface so you dont have to program or build your own.

If you are still going to go with the PLC I believe BeanAnimal uses one to control his reef -should be more info on ReefCentral.

IMO - save your pennies for other gear that you will need with the tank. You can pick up Bulk Reef Supply two part dosing pumps for $90 a pop and they are VERY well built and easy to maintain.

Oh I agree it is overkill for the initial setup. But I plan on running more than one tank in the long term. This will allow me to upgrade without additional controllers, yes I will need additional input devices such as probes and extra cabling. I have not looked into the all in ones since I had a aqua control jr, but I know there is more versatility in a custom PLC, I plan on having my water changes done automatically through the use of a series of holding tanks, salinity and temp probes and actuated valving. Based on a set time or trigger a water change will happen before your eyes. I'm even considering finding some sort of bulk material holder for the salt and a scale and actuated trap door setup. This is again all in my head at this point, but only a matter of time till it ends up on paper.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank
Old 06-03-2011, 02:53 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

uh oh......an engineer and a year to plan a tank........there will be trouble......I'll accept partial responsibility for the addiction, but not for the rest of it
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-03-2011, 03:30 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blom View Post
Oh I agree it is overkill for the initial setup. But I plan on running more than one tank in the long term. This will allow me to upgrade without additional controllers, yes I will need additional input devices such as probes and extra cabling. I have not looked into the all in ones since I had a aqua control jr, but I know there is more versatility in a custom PLC, I plan on having my water changes done automatically through the use of a series of holding tanks, salinity and temp probes and actuated valving. Based on a set time or trigger a water change will happen before your eyes. I'm even considering finding some sort of bulk material holder for the salt and a scale and actuated trap door setup. This is again all in my head at this point, but only a matter of time till it ends up on paper.
all of this can be done with the neptune system. their break out box module will help satisfy your inner geek . Just plug the actuator valve into the EB8 and set it on a timer or event (ie. mix when salinity is low or whatever) and it'll do its business. You can hook up 255 modules (citing from memory but its about that high) so its going to do everything you want. There really isnt anything to optimize by using a PLC. Reef tanks are complex but there is only so many things you need to monitor/control. I believe you can control multiple tanks from a single Neptune controller as long as you are within your 255 module limit.

be very careful in relying on a salinty probe to make decisions. They require constant recalibration and drift regularly.

I would instead have it so it fills a container to a set volume, gets the temp up and just dumps a pre-measured scoop of salt (maybe use a koi feeder) on trigger.

what ever you decide - keep us posted. Looking forward to the geeky nuts and bones of the system when its up and running.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Doug you can easily pass some of the blame on to Kevin as well. As for the trouble... I really cant see anything not going smoothly. Haha did I really just say that. Oh well.

Phi, you almost had me convinced there. I started looking at the apex controllers and you are right, very expandable. Up to 240 modules, hundreds of probes, and thousands of controlled outlets according to the manufactures website. I just did a quick calc of what I think I am going to need and the price quickly jumped over the thousand dollar mark. For that cost I believe I would rather do it all myself. Its the journey not the destination . But again I will have to look at the issues and costs with doing the PLC over the coming months. I will keep everyone in the loop.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 06-04-2011, 03:55 AM

Picked up the tank and sump... really misjudged the weight of that big sucker. I will post pics tomorrow after it all gets cleaned up.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 PM

Here are some pics, still in the process of cleaning. But I figured I would get them up before I head back to work.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM

Well phi delt, it appears you were right. Had a few issues with the PLC concept as I had some time to look into it over the last week or so. And it seems that I will be unable to find a cheap controller and HMI through work, which shoots the cost way up there.

I did however stumble upon the Profilux website and spent a few hours going over the P3 controller. Im thinking this could be a great route to go, it meets the vast majority of what I had planned. The intereface seems pretty good, and Im not going to be to upset that I dont have to sit around and write code up for weeks on end. It also sent me down another road for lighting as well. Im looking at the aqua illumination Sol moduals, although im not sold yet. This one seems like it is a very debated topic, LED that is. Ive read that the Vertex lights are also very good, and the person I was in contact with about the sol fixtures tried to push the pacific sun route. Oh the options. Any reefers out there care to chime in on this one?

Doug I heard that RC can order the profilux controllers in, is this true?

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM

Well picked up a new toy, a Reef Octopus 250. I just cant say no to a deal. I have already ordered a bubble blaster 5000 which I plan on using to replace the two Sicce pumps that come with the 250. I think I am going to get a gate valve as well to replace the twist angle cut pipe to control the flow. Just seems like it would offer better control over the flow.

Off to Calgary tomorrow with a planned stop into Red Coral on Tuesday...

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 AM

Well its been a couple of crazy busy weeks, so not a lot got figured out towards the tank. Did a couple of Inventor drawings and will keep plugging away at them more and more in the next few months. My goal is to draw up everything that I could potentially want in the fish room, and set them up as blocks. That way when the big house purchase comes up here in the next year or so I can figure out what kind of room I'm going to need to make it, not to mention lay it out before I even get the equipment over to the new place. Also had time when I was in Calgary to stop into the new Red Coral, Nice shop!! Makes me all the more eager to move back home. Picked up a Profilux II Controller while I was there. The girlfriend is starting to give me weird looks which I can only assume mean "why the hell are you bringing more stuff into our place". Still stumped on the light though, the more and more I read on LED's paired with the more and more I look at the cost of the retail manufactures leads me to believe that I should build one myself. But I know nothing of it, doesn't seem too bad but I am awful at soldering. I may try my hand at a smaller one for say the spice garden in the winter.

Would anyone have any info on growing mangroves, I was thinking it would be pretty neat to grow one on either side of the tank also recessed into the wall. I will try and draw something up here on my next set of days off.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 PM

Well only a few more weeks of work till I head back to school for my final year, Im excited to get it over with. I am also excited to get a tank up and running, so much in fact that I couldn't wait till I moved and had a suitable place for the 180G. I was in Big Als in Edmonton the other day, as I love the shark tank when I came across a sale sign that stated the JBJ 28 HQI with stand was $550. Well thats a done deal!

You can see the other new toy, the Profilux II.

I am currently waiting for a couple of orders to come in from Red Coral before I can get this up and running. They are:
-Profilux III Upgrade (was cheaper to go with the II and upgrade it)
-6 slot PAB
-2x optical level sensors with sensor bar
-Vertex 100gpd RO/DI unit
-30lbs Caribsea Aragamax select
-Profilux Touch

Hopefully the majority of the order is in for my next set of days off, which would enable me to get the system up and cycling by mid August. Exciting as I have missed staring into a little box of ocean for a while now.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank