Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-06-2009, 05:48 AM

onefishtwofish is on a distinguished road
Default nitrate solution?

Hi. i need advice. I have been offered a very generous and kind deal on a 40g s/w set up. I have been doing f/w very successfully for about a year now. This will probably be the only opportunity for me to go s/w but I have a delema.

I am on a park well so no modifications can be made to increase water pressure...that I know of. our natural nitrate level is 20pp. the water pressure is at max about 14ppi. this will more than likely make it non effective to run a r/o. I thought of getting in bottled water but there are issues about chemicals leaching into the water from the jugs...Can any one make any suggestions? As much as I want this set up, I would not want to harm any livestock if for some reason I would need access to a large amount of water and were unable to get it. I am maxed out on electricity once the new set up goes on to keep an extra pump and heater on for storage on a regular basis.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. It will probably be fowlr but would like the option of going full reef.

Thanks, Kathie
Old 06-06-2009, 06:46 AM

Blom is on a distinguished road

I would hope my water bottles are not leeching anything into my water, I tend to drink it. I can not be 100% sure on this as I have never tested for it, nor do I used bottled water on my fish tanks. That being said I can also say that I am pretty sure that most polypropylene water containers will not leach any chemicals into the water. I could maybe see that happening in the short term one use 600mL bottles. But those 18L blue poly jugs I would imagine are fine.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank
Old 06-06-2009, 08:58 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

If you would prefer to filter your water rather than buy bottles you could add a booster pump to an RO system to compensate for your low water pressure.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt...is)+Units.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Revers...duct_info.html

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 06-06-2009, 04:50 PM

alamo is on a distinguished road

This unit has a built-in pump, TDS, pressure gauge...It looks expensive but you don't need anything else. A very wise investment compared to the water bottles.(If you are going to in this for a while.)

http://www.reefperfection.com/index....TS&Category=20
Old 06-06-2009, 10:36 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I would also suggest a booster pump for the RODI. With nitrates at 20 ppm, that's rather high. Too high. An RODI will need 55 psi I do believe. Packing jugs of water around sucks. It gets old real fast, and you tend to do less water changes because of the effort.

What do you mean your electricity is maxed out? You don't have any room on the sub panel, and the breakers are maxed?

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I would also suggest a booster pump for the RODI. With nitrates at 20 ppm, that's rather high. Too high. An RODI will need 55 psi I do believe. Packing jugs of water around sucks. It gets old real fast, and you tend to do less water changes because of the effort.

What do you mean your electricity is maxed out? You don't have any room on the sub panel, and the breakers are maxed?
yeah. i paid 4500 to have my electric upgraded . they took out my old 100 amp panel, put in a different 100amp panel. i was led to beleive I had 100 amp service, but the power to the pole and to the house have 60 amps. They told me there was not enough to even put in a wall oven when i took out the stove and put in a counter cook top. the problem is...I have only got room for the set up in the living room..and i already have a 50g, 2x 48g, 29g, 2x33 , 2x20g long a 10g and a 15g running. each have a light and a min of one filter, many two, heaters and air. this system will require 9 plug ins. I am already using my kitchen plug ins to run some of these. mts or what...lol
Old 06-07-2009, 05:32 PM

lol. my friend says if i buy a ro unit he will kindly allow me to install it at his house and be able to come get the water when ever I need some...such a generous soul...
Old 06-08-2009, 01:34 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Hmm, you only have 60 amp service? That sucks man... you may well have trouble providing enough power for a full reef. If you go FOWLR, you will have much less trouble with this (a lot less light is needed, just enough to see the fish).

Just a thought, any idea how much power you are actually pulling with that many tanks, plus your own use? You might not even have enough power left for a reef...
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 PM

yeah...not fair. bad contractor...its gonna be tight. thank goodness there is only 2 of us living here, but i get told off alot when my daughter has to vacuum cause everything in the livingroom and most of the kitchen has fish stuff attached and she is afraid to unplug anything.

I will go fowler and i have decided against the bigger tank and all the ro for now. once i get this contractor into court and hopefully get the money out of him and upgrade to the 100 amps he was to do it too, i will reconsider. thanks every one for the advice. much appreciated.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:16 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear of your plight man. Stuff like that really sucks... hopefully you can get the work out of him!

Have you considered breaking down to less tanks? You do have an awful lot of tanks... and it's likely that when you get a saltwater setup going, you'll want to spend less time doing maintenance on your freshwater setups and spend more time gazing at your slice of ocean.