Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

My understanding is that not all peppers are created equal? Like, on one plant you may have some peppers that are 10x as hot as others on the same plant? That could be frustrating!

I love spicy stuff, and it seems like I have more tolerance than the average Joe, but I draw the line at about a half cup of raw Habanero salsa. Beyond Habanero I think it's just sport!

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Vendor

Bayside Corals is on a distinguished road

I have ordered seeds from pepper joe and a couple other places for the last 3 years.
I have to say your plants are looking great so I dont think you need any pointers. I have personally eaten scotch bonets, taz habenaro, ghost pepper, fatali pepper, and brain strain pepper. I grew the butch t last year but my plant never produced any peppers.

This year I planted many super hots including the caronlina reaper and the morgua. But life has been really busy for me lately so my plants were neglected and most of them died. The only survivors were the fatali pepers.

For heat and flavour wise here is my experience. Taz hab and scotch bonnet are similar in heat. Very hot but standable with no milk needed. Burn lasts about 15 to 20mins. Flavour is ok on both but not great. The fatali pepper is similar in heat maybe slightly less but it has great flavour, almost tastes lemony. The ghost pepper is hotter than the previous 3 but not alot hotter. The burn lasts about 25 mins and you will need a bit of milk. I used these in salsa with the scotch bonnets and fatali peppers and it was just right. The salsa was hot but still edible lol.

Now the hottest pepper I ever ate was the brain strain pepper. All I can say is holy sh@t. If you think a ghost pepper is hot then this thing will kill you! Ghost peppers are hot to me but I like them and eat them regularly. The brain strain pepper I tried it once and probably never will again. It was that hot! I really wanted to try the butch t but like I said my plant never produced.

When I tried the peppers for the first time I ate them raw and whole. Not just a little sliver. I wanted to get a true sense of what each pepper was about.

Good luck with your pepper growing!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-04-2013, 01:33 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby Bay View Post
I have ordered seeds from pepper joe and a couple other places for the last 3 years.
I have to say your plants are looking great so I dont think you need any pointers. I have personally eaten scotch bonets, taz habenaro, ghost pepper, fatali pepper, and brain strain pepper. I grew the butch t last year but my plant never produced any peppers.

This year I planted many super hots including the caronlina reaper and the morgua. But life has been really busy for me lately so my plants were neglected and most of them died. The only survivors were the fatali pepers.

For heat and flavour wise here is my experience. Taz hab and scotch bonnet are similar in heat. Very hot but standable with no milk needed. Burn lasts about 15 to 20mins. Flavour is ok on both but not great. The fatali pepper is similar in heat maybe slightly less but it has great flavour, almost tastes lemony. The ghost pepper is hotter than the previous 3 but not alot hotter. The burn lasts about 25 mins and you will need a bit of milk. I used these in salsa with the scotch bonnets and fatali peppers and it was just right. The salsa was hot but still edible lol.

Now the hottest pepper I ever ate was the brain strain pepper. All I can say is holy sh@t. If you think a ghost pepper is hot then this thing will kill you! Ghost peppers are hot to me but I like them and eat them regularly. The brain strain pepper I tried it once and probably never will again. It was that hot! I really wanted to try the butch t but like I said my plant never produced.

When I tried the peppers for the first time I ate them raw and whole. Not just a little sliver. I wanted to get a true sense of what each pepper was about.

Well if your interested provided I get a good yield id be happy to mail you a couple butch t or moruga if you wanted. My trinidads are just starting to bud so I expect fruit for the end of summer. Never mailed peppers though lol so it could be interesting.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
My understanding is that not all peppers are created equal? Like, on one plant you may have some peppers that are 10x as hot as others on the same plant? That could be frustrating!

I love spicy stuff, and it seems like I have more tolerance than the average Joe, but I draw the line at about a half cup of raw Habanero salsa. Beyond Habanero I think it's just sport!
Yes that what I gather as well Myka. When they measure a SHU of a pepper they mash up the entire yield from the mother plant to find the over all heat average. So while one could be much hotter you may just as easily find one that is no hotter than a jalapeno.. lol although those are very hot for some folk.

At any rate I'm glad to see so many heat fanatics! Let me know if you want to swap seeds or post pics of your harvests! Recipes etc. Gotta say there is nothing quite like a burning hot spoonful of hot sauce on just about anything.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:59 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby Bay View Post

Wtf! You are a pepper eating monster! I picture Godzilla! Wow.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:19 AM

reefbrian is on a distinguished road

I grow sweet peppers atm indoors via hydroponics. Keep in mind as I understand it peppers easily cross pollinate. So if you grow sweet peppers next to spicy varieties then your spicy peppers won't be nearly as spicy. And your sweets may be spicier. I grow one variety at a time and many greenhouse farmers will grow one variety per greenhouse. And peppers love heat, they will grow great indoors under mh and one pepper plant will produce many peppers for a year or more!

Sent from my LT28i using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-04-2013, 04:29 AM

Although I could be wrong lol. I know that if you save any seed for next time your flavors will be different.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbrian View Post
Although I could be wrong lol. I know that if you save any seed for next time your flavors will be different.

That what ive heard too. What are you using for lights? I'm thinking of growing indoors next winter but don't want a 200-500w light running. Think a t5 light for an aquarium would do the trick with the right bulbs any info you can share is great I have no clue how I'm going to do this yet
Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 AM

Atm I am using t5. But as soon as I can afford it 400w mh with a lumatek ballast. A 4ft t5 with 8 bulbs would work as well but will use the same electricity and cost more in bulb replacement. If you use an 8ft light mover you can offset the extra electricity by growing that much more per watt. You will get a full head of lettuce in 6 weeks from seed!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the tip! I'll be looking for a light shortly in that case