Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-27-2009, 05:04 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Hey Tony just saw this, bummer. It does sound like cuke killer toxins to me too. I had mine start to puke out the creamy slime awhile back, luckily I noticed it doing the deed and yanked it out and through it in the trash. Wierd thing is it was gone 2 days later when I looked so either a cat or our nieghbourhood racoons ate it.....yuck! Anyway let me know if I can be of help. My RO unit can put out 300 gal per day if you need some quick water. I also have a spare skimmer if you need to borrow one.

Greg
Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Thanks Myka. Corals, interestingly enough, don't look too bad today, but bear in mind I only have zoanthids and gorgonians and clams. The zoanthids were quickly receding on account of the butterfly, the gorgonians seem to be bulletproof anyhow, and the clams.. well, two of them look like hell, one of them looks like heck, and then the last 4 of them look like nothing was ever the matter.
Clams are weenies. I hope they pull through for you. Why do they have to be sooooooooooooo perdy when they are such a pain in the butt???

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

So sorry to hear about this Tony I hope what's left pulls through. You've been a real inspiration to many of us (including me) so I'm really rooting for you to stay in the hobby.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:46 AM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

Tony, you were here when I started my crazy reef tank adventure many many years ago. You're still here. Don't do what I did... faced a little adversity and I quit (broke my 320g dream tank). Since the day I tore down the 120g and 90g, I've been looking to get into another tank.

I regret my decision to give up those two tanks nearly every day. I've since moved to a newer house with much less room to keep tanks and am searching for ways to fit in a new tank.

You do not want to be me! Although, I do not want to be you right now

Then again, I don't think you need a pep talk.

Good luck though.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:07 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Thanks. To be honest the sheer logistics of pulling out are daunting enough to keep me to press on. I'm also too far along on my inwall (despite the running joke of how long it's taking to put water in it) to really abort that, the whole basement has been drawn up around it so .. so I guess that's that. Just have to find a way to make it work is all.

If this isn't an argument to consider BB tanks though and forgo the need to have cucumbers in the tank, I'm not sure what is. Although it's weird, if it was the hitchhiker cucumber, I thought it was a garden variety tiger-tail, and I thought these were reasonably safe to keep. Although I suppose if something happened like it went into the overflow pipe or a pump intake, who knows, maybe in that case still, "anything goes."
Old 08-29-2009, 12:51 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
If this isn't an argument to consider BB tanks though and forgo the need to have cucumbers in the tank, I'm not sure what is.
You don't need cucumbers in the tank. I have never put one in any of my tanks simply because I think they are disasters waiting. Plus, there are other critters that do the job just as well - particularly conches and sand sifting gobies.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:13 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

YOU may be convinced but others may not be. I was just speaking some idle thoughts here in retrospect. After all, there is a certain appeal to a creature that eats dirty sand and poops clean sand. I didn't buy the tigertail, it was a hitchhiker. I guess I could have torn apart the whole tank to get at him but I didn't, for reason #1 the sand cleaning thing didn't hurt, but #2, what exactly do I do with it? Condemn it to death because of what it is, or pass it along to another reefer, who may not know the risks? Not really comfortable with either option there.

Is it what it is now though. I lost two fish, so it could have been worse, but the sting of losing a 6 year old fish to something seemingly with no forewarning for still disappoints me.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 PM

aquatic_rice is on a distinguished road

Damn, sorry to hear Tony. Hope everything turns out well.
My condolences. It sucks to lose a pet youve cared for so long.
Good luck.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 PM

I sort of debated with myself about bringing this thread back up but have decided to add this footnote to this story.

In the end, I lost 4 fish in this event, one of my doliatus rabbitfish, my flame hawk, my raccoon butterfly and my sixline wrasse. Some of these fish were longtime keepers, the sixline was in fact my oldest fish (bought in 2001), the flame hawk in 2004.

One night earlier this week I was doing some fish spotting at night (some new fish, thought I'd see where they were hiding). Anyhow, I spotted the cucumber: alive and well.

So, that means that whatever this was, it wasn't "cuke nuke" after all. Unless maybe the cucumber had split and one of it's offspring or clones had kicked off, but now I'll never really know. My first theory that it was clam spawn just doesn't seem to fit the pattern: I have had clams spawn before on me, and there are usually two distinct telltales: 1) you know who is doing the spawning. Even afterwards, they will have a "I'm spent" look to them for up to days afterwards. None of my clams ever had this look at the time. 2) There is a distinct smell usually. While this event had a smell, it's wasn't the smell of .. um, how can I put this delicately, it wasn't the smell of spawn.

I do think that whatever it was did cause the brittle stars to spawn, but the initial thing is still the mystery. And there is the issue of the mystery substance that looked like fried eggs covering the entire sump, no idea what that was. Weird, just weird, weird weird weird. I've been doing saltwater now for close to 12 years and this is the first time I've had an incident of this nature that I cannot conclusively determine what the actual cause was (just to be clear - I've had many incidents: but I can always trace it back to a "the ultimate cause was 'X'". Where 'X' might be equipment failure, power failure, human error, livestock issue, etc.)

It really does irk me to have to walk away from this incident and not have a "lesson learned" aspect to it. No idea what went wrong, so no idea what to change to prevent or lessen the likelihood of a reoccurence.

On another note though, for the record, I am not quitting (the initial theme of this post was that I was deciding whether to continue on or not, and the decision is to make the best of things and forge ahead.) I have some progress on my tank build that I should probably post about at some point in my build thread, and some new livestock that has rekindled some of the excitement I have about this hobby.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I was a little scared to open this thread.

Bad news about the unsolved reef mystery but I'm glad you're making progress on the new tank. Can't wait to see some new pictures. Of course I know I'm not going to find that your sump has moved or anything TOO crazy because I'd remember having met you!