Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2012, 06:21 AM

ensquire is on a distinguished road
Default August 12 2012

Almost lost Two spot Tang due to my Ato not being turned back on after a over flow alarm went off due to slight problem with set up.First problem was that the ATO line was to low and started siphoning my reservior. So I added a length of pipe with a couple of elbows and hung it on the side of the ATO reservior tank into the sump, raising exit point of the line high enough to stop siphon problem.

Next issue was courtesy of my return lines being lower than I would like in the tank and the backflow valves I ordered not being sent. This caused the tank to dump a few extra gallons into the sump during a power outage or a shutdown to feed because the anti siphon holes are an inch or two lower than I like. This raised the water level so high that my skimmer would start spewing water out of the top and my high water alarm to go off. So I started turning off both the ATO and the skimmer to feed. And of course I forgot to turn the ATO back on one time. This caused the return chamber to drain so low that the pump began spewing micro bubbles for a couple hours into the DT. My wife didn't want to wake me in the morning when she saw the tank, but wasn't sure what to do to fix ther problem. So my morning began with one P***ed off tank and a Tang having a hard time. Wasn't sure he would make it, layed on the bottom on his side for almost the whole day. But he has made a full recovery. All corals came right back as well.
As soon as my valves arrived, I popped them on the return line and raised the skimmer up on a eggcrate base. This allowed me to raise the water level in the return chamber with out having to worry about siphoning DT overflowing sump.