Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
I am not suggesting that we abandon purchasing from LFS.

The issue is very simple
Someone is pocketing the huge savings we as hobbyists are losing.

If it is the importers or wholesalers, our local LFS should put pressure on their suppliers or look around for better suppliers.

If is the LFS and online stores that are pocketing the savings, they must understand that if they do not pass it on to us, we will take our business elsewhere, across the border only if necessary.
Exactly why Gary suggests using your money to talk for you. Spending habits will dictate who sells what for how much. Reallistically though, if I stand at my LFS for an hour and mingle with the clients, most of them wouldn't even think of looking online, much less buy there. The local market shops price wise within itself, so as long as retailer 1 is 5% cheaper than retailer 2 down the street, they buy there. No consideration to what something might cost in California whatsoever. The people I talk to to that know what a J&L or OA is is probably less than 20%.
So, for now, the retailer still gets to dictate prices, especially in mid size markets like Victoria.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Doug are you the Mod. Please PM me.

Reefrat
The point of the thread was that the savings as a result of the high Canadian dollar are not being passed on to reefers.
My point was ask and you shall receive!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:19 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Retailers, Vendors and Distributors need to demand lower prices from the manufacturers.

Since I was out shopping for a high chair for my baby today I will take that as an example...

Just one model I was looking at a - fisher price was listed in store at Toys R Us at $159.99, on the toysrus.com US website the same item was listed at $99.99. How can this be justified? Both of these items have been shipped from China. Now You cannot tell me that it really costs $60 more to get it to Calgary vs. say.... Spokane?

We as Canadians are being taken advantage of.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2

Last edited by digital-audiophile; 10-29-2007 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:26 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Greg, it really frosts ya doesn't it.
Did you ask the store manager if he would honour the same US price.
It has been my experience that they will if you ask.
I understand from talking to them (they privately agee with my point and tell me their own Canadian buck experience) that they are putting pressure on senior management to do something but senior management are really slow to act.
The more fluff we raise the faster fair pricing will happen, especially with Christmas coming.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:23 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

What's the Freak'n deal 6 threads on this topic today by naesco. For me it has become an anoiance more than a fight for equal pricing. GIVE IT A REST.
I'm not even going to view my opinion as these threads are just ****ing me off. One was enough. Commando attacks in Vendor forums isn't going to help anyone

J
Old 10-29-2007, 02:01 AM

Zylumn is on a distinguished road

naesco I too have noticed your repeated challenge and saber rattle. Could you please put you money where your key pad is as I challenge you to purchase an identical Fish Store product from Canada (J&L) and one from the US (your choice). Document your total costs and share, Then return them and document your total returns. This would bring legitimacy to your claims. Thank You
Kevin
Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
Commando attacks in Vendor forums isn't going to help anyone

J
These have been removed. I agree that one thread is enough. Wayne, please keep your rant in one thread. Thank you.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:18 AM

nanoreefer is on a distinguished road

not sure if this adds anything too the thread or not but i was looking at dr fosters and smith website and they have the 12g aquapod with 70watt HQI on sale for only $175, but when i e-mailed them for a shipping quote they said it would cost about $282 just to have it shipped!!plus the brokage fee and price of tank, iam not sure how mutch the same tank costs here but that shipping just seems nuts so far it looks to me like its cheeper to buy here than pay shipping from the states on dry goods.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 AM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

As far as shipping tanks go,yes for a single tank it would be very expensive due to the size,and weight if its glass.For something like that,the best way is to ship a truckload or 1/2 truckload or even a skid.The smaller the size of shipment the more per piece it will cost to ship.For example the above tank costs $282 to ship,but a skid load would be a lot less,and a truckload would be significantly less.Something to keep in mind when we deal with stores.Smaller stores regardless of the type will pay higher shipping costs unless they belong to a buying group,than the larger Wall-mart type store that can ship in volume.( I know this doesn't add to the $$ value discussion,but it will have an effect on price differential)

Last edited by Quagmire; 10-30-2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:07 AM

MoeReefer is on a distinguished road

The cost of living is more in Canada than in the US. There for a retailer has to charge more for a skimmer etc. here so they can make their more expensive car payments buy that more expensive TV and and pay their more expensive mortgage payment and put that more expensive food on the table.
For the price of that skimmer to go down the price of EVERYTHING that we buy on a regular basis will have to down and I don't think that that is going to happen anytime soon.