Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM

krausean is on a distinguished road
Default Andreas' 33 gallon

Hi all!
I'm new to the forum and also (relatively) new to reefing. I ran a 29 gallon bio-cube about 3 years ago but ended up leaving the hobby...temporarily...

Now I'm back and hopefully here to stay

I recently purchased a running 33 gallon aquarium w/stand that had apparently been set up for 4 years (see attached pic). The glass has a lot of scratches but it will do for now...

I'm running two ATI T5's over the tank. One Actinic and one daylight bulb that were replaced when I bought the tank, about a month ago. These should do the trick for now as all I have is some softies and LPS.

At the moment I'm running a whisper 70 canister filter with SeaGel media.
My plan in the very near future is to set up a 10-20 gallon sump with a protein skimmer etc.
I'm currently taking advantage of all the great info on the Canreef forums to help with the sump build

About a week ago I purchased my first RO/DI system. I have been having some serious issues with algae growth in my tank. At first it was green hair algae and now I'm getting red algae as well. It seemed the best place to start was with the water that goes into the tank. Hopefully that will help!
I introduced an emerald crab into the system about two weeks ago and within two days 3 of my fish disappeared...lesson learned...the funny thing is that I bought a lawnmower blenny at the same time as the crab and I wasn't warned by my LFS that the crab might chop him (or other fish) into bits...I also lost a sand shifting goby (not sure of the name) and what I think was a yellow clown goby. I'm pretty sure that's what caused my recent severe red algae outbreak...

I do know that my 33 is too small for that Regal Tang...I'm planning on removing him shortly...

btw...what's the trick to attaching images without a link...I know nobody enjoys the attachment links
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canreef pic.jpg (42.0 KB, 90 views)