Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default step 7

I ran a line from where the RODI top up will enter the sump, along the under side of the base boards to the laundry room where the unit is set up. I'll need to buy about 30-40 feet of line to make it all the back though.

55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Sweet I've been waiting for updates. Great Idea how far is the run from the tank to the RO/DI?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

This will be unique and stylin' when complete. Looking forward to seeing a tank on that stand.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 PM

Pazil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
Work is coming along every day now. I've finished painting the area, as well as finished the mouldings around the top of the bar. I tiled the bar top but have run into my first real issue. All of the grout cracked, and I'm not sure why? I used a tube of grout and it was just enough to get the job done. I see now that the grout has shrunk a bit, so I'm wondering if I can add more grout? I don't want to do that until I find out what I did that made it crack though. Any thoughts?

What type of grout did you use? What material did you adhere the tile to? Can you get a close up of the grout joints?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 PM

Default reply

Thanks everyone. It appears to be turning out pretty good if I do say so myself. I've done a lot of reno's since I moved in here last winter, and each time I acquire new knowledge and skills. My wife is pleased with how it looks and thats all that matters.

Pazil; The grout I used is called Karacaulk, made by Mapei. It comes in a caulking tube and says that it is sanded acrylic caulk. Here's a pic of the cracks.

55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

That's a sweet looking bar! Great work so far. Can't wait to see the tank on there.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Pazil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
Thanks everyone. It appears to be turning out pretty good if I do say so myself. I've done a lot of reno's since I moved in here last winter, and each time I acquire new knowledge and skills. My wife is pleased with how it looks and thats all that matters.

Pazil; The grout I used is called Karacaulk, made by Mapei. It comes in a caulking tube and says that it is sanded acrylic caulk. Here's a pic of the cracks.

Mapei makes a great product... I typically use the the caulking for inside corners when tiling and where the tiles meet another material (ie. tile backsplash to counter top). You should also be able to pick up the sanded grout from the same supplier. I would use that for the grount lines rather than the caulk. Also what material did you use under the tile?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:44 PM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

wow....looking awesome there man, can't wait to see it all moved over and set up.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 AM

Default reply

Pazil; should I have not used sanded caulk? I thought it was grout. Will I be able to grout over this since it has shrunk so much or should I be removing the caulk first?

Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 AM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

I'm loving the color, it is looking good! According to my fiance (he's a contractor) you should take out the caulking between the tiles and replace it with regular grout, then seal.