Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road
Default Tang Police or Tang Nazis?

Interesting article in this month's Coral Magazine: It seems the "Tang Police" may have to hand in their handcuffs. Apparently, studies have been done to measure stress levels of fish kept in aquariums of different sizes. After acclimation, there was no difference is stress level between fishes in larger or smaller tanks. In fact, there was no difference in levels between captive fish and wild fish. The author of the article goes on to say that the Regal Tang, which many people consider to be one of the Tangs that require larger spaces are fine in a tank of 150 gallons, as long as a swimming area of 65" by 24" is available. The author also says Wrasses may require more swimming room than Tangs. Why are there no "Wrasse Police"?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Haha yeah I think sometimes people need to just relax and remember these are just fish not actual people. And if you care that much about fish you should not eat them or keep aquariums.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Haha yeah I think sometimes people need to just relax and remember these are just fish not actual people. And if you care that much about fish you should not eat them or keep aquariums.
Well I've got one of those criteria handled. The other ain't gonna happen!

I'm gonna go watch my Kole zoom around his 3 foot 97g now brb.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Leave it to you all to start poking fun... This thread will be a fun one to watch and see what happens.

I think I want my JBJ28 back and I can put Dori in it. She is about 7 inches long now. She would be fine, she can turn around.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 01-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
Leave it to you all to start poking fun... This thread will be a fun one to watch and see what happens.
Happy New Year everyone!!!

It's a new year, might as well stir the pot a little!

I don't pretend to be an animal behaviouralist. In fact, I don't know if that's even a real word. I just found the article interesting. Right or wrong? I don't know, but I'm sure there will be some interesting responses.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 PM

JonT is on a distinguished road

Part of our jobs as the owner of these small eco systems is to best replicate the inhabitants natural environment. Isn't it?

Do you buy a German sheppard and stuff it into a small crate? I mean, it can turn around in there. There is room for it to eat and such. So, that is okay then right? Dog seems happy when I stick my fingers in the front grate...... This will get me in jail if I put a picture of it on a dog forum, and talk about it. All the while ignoring all advice being given to me by the members of that community.

Can you keep a tang in a 90.. Sure. Can someone new to the hobby do the same.. Maybe. The person that has more experience with water chemistry will likely have a healthier tang in a year.

Can you put a 5" yellow tang in a biocube? Sure you can. You can even go on the forums, and tell everyone that no matter how many reasons they provide you with, your not going to do anything differently. And your not going to have to worry about police... cause well, its a fish... No fur...

I have yet to read that article. But even without doing so, can still comment on my opinions (and yes, there are times when I dust off the tang police badge) Fish need an appropriate amount of room. Tangs do not stay in one area in the wild. (there was a video posted here the other day with Atlantic blue's they came, and left) We keep them in a glass box. The least we can do is give them the room they need to reach speeds capable of splashing the water out of the tank.

Can you keep a tang in a 90.. Sure. Can someone new to the hobby do the same.. Maybe. The person that has more experience with water chemistry will likely have a healthier tang in a year.

As with all opinions in this hobby (wanna talk DSB's?) They come backed with personal experience.

Gets off the soap box, and puts the badge back into the jacket pocket.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
Part of our jobs as the owner of these small eco systems is to best replicate the inhabitants natural environment. Isn't it?

Do you buy a German sheppard and stuff it into a small crate? I mean, it can turn around in there. There is room for it to eat and such. So, that is okay then right? Dog seems happy when I stick my fingers in the front grate...... This will get me in jail if I put a picture of it on a dog forum, and talk about it. All the while ignoring all advice being given to me by the members of that community.

Can you put a 5" yellow tang in a biocube? Sure you can. You can even go on the forums, and tell everyone that no matter how many reasons they provide you with, your not going to do anything differently. And your not going to have to worry about police... cause well, its a fish... No fur...

I have yet to read that article. But even without doing so, can still comment on my opinions (and yes, there are times when I dust off the tang police badge) Fish need an appropriate amount of room. Tangs do not stay in one area in the wild. (there was a video posted here the other day with Atlantic blue's they came, and left) We keep them in a glass box. The least we can do is give them the room they need to reach speeds capable of splashing the water out of the tank.

As with all opinions in this hobby (wanna talk DSB's?) They come backed with personal experience.

Gets off the soap box, and puts the badge back into the jacket pocket.
No tank you can build will ever come close to replicating a fishes natural habitat or range...lol

You have your own soapbox and it seems to be of the hypocritical kind...lol

If you take a fish out of the ocean and put it into your tank, you are NO better than someone who throws a yellow tang in a 50 gallon...

If I kidnapyou and take you away from your home, family and habitat, do you care if I stick you in an apartment or house?

This hobby just seems to attract those with an odd sense of being righteous...maybe to deal with the guilt of raping the oceans...the rape in which we ALL (unless your tank is exclusively captive raised and eco live rock) take part in...

Make yourself feel better about things if you must, just dont expect those of us whove cashed in our reality cheques to care.

Last edited by gobytron; 01-07-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
No tank you can build will ever come close to replicating a fishes natural habitat or range...lol

If you take a fish out of the ocean and put it into your tank, you are NO better than someone who throws a yellow tang in a 50 gallon...

If I kidnapyou and take you away from your home, family and habitat, do you care if I stick you in an apartment or house?

This hobby just seems to attract those with an odd sense of being righteous...maybe to deal with the guilt of raping the oceans...the rape in which we ALL (unless your tank is exclusively captive raised and eco live rock)...

MAke yourself feel better about things if you must, just dont expect those of us whove cashed in our reality cheques to care.
It's like you took the words right out of my mouth!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 PM

JonT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post

This hobby just seems to attract those with an odd sense of being righteous...maybe to deal with the guilt of raping the oceans...the rape in which we ALL (unless your tank is exclusively captive raised and eco live rock)...

MAke yourself feel better about things if you must, just dont expect those of us whove cashed in our reality cheques to care.

Wow. Okay then....

I was simply pointing out that while we have taken the fish from the ocean our job was to take care of it as best we can.

Sorry if that got lost in the translation. Was just making a comparison using a dog. Lots of popular TV shows regarding animal cruelty these days. But not for animals with fins.....

As for eco rock? Really? Dig a big hole toss all kinds of sediments into the water ways, destroying local lakes, and rivers eco systems. Pollutants in the air from the equipment digging it up etc. So that we feel better? I will stick with my live rock. I am sure that it isn't collected per the "loose rock" rules that most regions have, but less impact than digging holes, refining the rocks to turn it back into rock.

As for being no better than the next, your wrong there. I do frequent the forums. I make educated purchases. I make sure that I am not buying something unreasonable for my aquarium. I don't just trust some kid at a store that it is "okay" I stick with sponsors that know what the hell their doing. And even then, I still will wait on a purchase till I have looked it up myself.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

*lays a man-slapping on lance*