Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-16-2009, 04:38 AM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlily View Post
I make a mixture of mysis and a little bit of brine. I have to chop it up quite small as he is still very little. Sometimes I add in a drop or two of Selcon or a pinch of Cyclop-eeze. Every second day I give him a piece of Nori to shred.

My thoughts on the yellow tang were the same as yours. The problem I have now, is what fish do I get next, that is very peaceful that will add some yellow to the tank.
well there are so many colours you can add to your tank, for me i find that the less colourful ones are really different because most people have those colourful ones. i like to be different.

i also found that because the scopas is so small it wont eat the bigger pieces. and i had a little bit of hair algea, now its all gone, and i use tap water..... i know i know. im hoping it will produce more hair algea for the little dude. hehe as funny as that sounds.

where do you get your nori from?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

Because I use so little, I have 2 different packages I purchased from 2 different SS LFS's. Looking at the packages, it doesn't say Nori it says "seaweed". The Scopas loves it. When it's put in the tank he rips it to shreds within a few hours.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 AM

i cant seem to get this guy to rip mine to shreds, he seems to like my frozen food but when i put in seaweed, he doesnt jump on it. mmm
Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

I put on a few drops of garlic powder and selcon and let it soak in before hanging it up. Maybe it's the smells that attract him.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 AM

thanks for the help

so i came home today and guess what, my tank was almost overflowing, luckily the emergency drain worked, the funny thing is when i got home i usually check the tank first but today i went on the computer instead for about 30 minutes. i guess the one got clogged and in turn the ato turned on and my salinty went down to 1.022, so i drained out a bunch and going to let it evaportate and get the level back to where it should be. i also took off that mess that was around my eggcrate covering the overflow in the main tank, it allows more effective surface skimming.

but man that was a close call,

though im left with the question my tank was to the brink of being full and so was my sump?? where did all the water come from?? ato stayed on?? but it was sumerged under the water? i checked it and it turns off once underwater. so hmmm maybe someone elses herbie drain has clogged and this happened also?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

ATOs scare the willies out of me. I have read too many horror stories.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:52 AM

if you spend the money on more expensive ones, im sure it is fine, its great to have an ato, save alot of the time and frusteration keeping the salinity in check.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomboy View Post
if you spend the money on more expensive ones, im sure it is fine, its great to have an ato, save alot of the time and frusteration keeping the salinity in check.

I don't regret adding the Tunze ATO my system... saves me daily work on the tank of having to top off... I'll take the risk of it getting stuck on, if it saves me that work.. Plus my skimmer skims better without the fluctuation in water level, I've also noticed the corals look better.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

here is a no brainer for ya if your sump isnt drilled for it
get a piece of glass and drill a hole 5/8" and make sure that it will fit in the corner of the sump
And get a float switch and have it connect to your RO unit and then you dont have to worry about the water over flowing or put it on a tub say like 2-3 gal if you are the nervous type.
I like it on the RO unit my salinity never goes up or down.

I have been running one eversince i got into the hobby. April 02 and it hasn't failed me yet
Old 03-19-2009, 06:01 AM

rattler is on a distinguished road
Default ato

yea, a normal entry level ato unit can fail. I bought a bulk reef system ato with a timer (for a second fail safe). This has been running for three months with out a failure or hiccup !!

I'm sold!!

Cheers!

Geoff