Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-10-2012, 02:28 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Any inverts? Over-skimming tends to remove a lot of iodine which can effect them. If it's just fish, definitely no issue I'm aware of.
I don't believe you can overskim. Iodine would be depleted in all our systems, regardless OD skimmer size.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 06-10-2012, 02:35 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I don't believe you can overskim. Iodine would be depleted in all our systems, regardless OD skimmer size.
Perhaps, this just from experience personally knowing someone running an exceptionally large skimmer on an invert system and having high mortality issues. Dosing iodine seemed to fix the issue short term and removing the skimmer completely fixed it long term.
I definitely also had over-skimming issues before as well, there's probably a thread on it somewhere.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:41 AM

rastaangel is on a distinguished road

So if your saying having a skimmer rated for double system volume is bad for anything but FO why does everyone do it? The skimmer I have right now is double rated and I never had any issues with a SPS tank
Old 06-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

I think what most skimmers indicate they are rated for in gallons is for a lower bioload. My SWC 120 is rated for 120 gallons @ low bioload and 55 gallons @ high bioload.

That leads me to believe that a heavily stocked 190 should have a skimmer that is rated for 380-400 gallons.

I do believe it is possible to over-skim. I'm doing it right now, and my softies were becoming increasingly unhappy. They're now in a different tank and are very happy (with the exception of my Xenia, which may just be too far gone).
Old 06-10-2012, 06:06 PM

deepRED is on a distinguished road

For fish only, not really. For softies, yes you can overskim. Depends on your stock and water requirements.
I've seen a system with much too large of a skimmer and it wasn't pulling anything and wasn't even foaming properly because there wasn't enough organics to pull. You may think that's good, but what's the point of having a huge skimmer if it isn't even pulling anything?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:09 PM

deepRED is on a distinguished road

To add to that, if you are doing all large angels, just put the largest skimmer you can afford/fit. You won't have issues with not having enough to pull because you'd be feeding a ton to keep the fish healthy and adding a lot of nutrients daily.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Well I think I am gonna email the manufacture to see what they say about what I should run with what I have planned.
And being as tho I plan to run the tank near osmotic until I have all the fish in there there wont be any inverts in it... And even then I prob would have over 2 dozen fish once I cross every angelfish off my list and I know its gonna take some time to get the cash funds and find a healthy conspicious angelfish
Old 06-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

I decided to check the manufacture of my skimmer's website. If you scroll to the bottom, they have bioload ratings.

This is the 230

http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/i...roducts_id=113

This is the one I use:

http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/i...roducts_id=115

My memory was off with regards to the specs for mine, and as the 230 is rated differently from mine, my previous assumption was clearly in error.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:24 PM

HAHA got that for reef octopus skimmers?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:17 PM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

I run an Elos NS4000 skimmer on a 200G. It is rated for up to 1100G. I haven't noticed any ill effects at all and it pulls LOTS of crap out and fast. I have a fairly high bio load and feed a fair bit. My nightly feed is a slurry of many frozen foods, vitamins, and coral food. This likely keeps the LPS happy.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewit...content=EO5565