Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Not enough traffic to post a thread? I don't get it...? I can't stand Reef Central so much crap to sift through. I usually only visit there when I have a question for RHF.

Sent from my Dungeon using mad Ninja Skillz.
Yes not enough traffic. When someone has a question, they would like it answered. Post it here and you might get a response, post it on a different forum and you'll get many different answers and opinions. When something is wrong with your tank you dont have days to possibly get an answer.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman86 View Post
Yes not enough traffic. When someone has a question, they would like it answered. Post it here and you might get a response, post it on a different forum and you'll get many different answers and opinions. When something is wrong with your tank you dont have days to possibly get an answer.

Well, to be honest I don't think you can have a problem with your tank that hasn't been answered here already You'd be hard pressed to not find a problem discussed here.
And to furtherly honest (is that a word?), the board has more traffic now than it's ever had.
Is it Reefcentral? No. But that's like comparing the PNE to Disneyland. We're a small board in a small country. RC is huge with an international following.
But if you can't find something here, using a Google search with RC limitations will certainly give you an answer, so never any need to wait days.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I find the opposite Is true. I get replies quicker here than RC. I've waited days many times when I've posted threads on RC. I purposely seek out threads here on CanReef that have few or no replies to try to help those in need, but most threads have a good answer within a few hours.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Well, to be honest I don't think you can have a problem with your tank that hasn't been answered here already You'd be hard pressed to not find a problem discussed here.
And to furtherly honest (is that a word?), the board has more traffic now than it's ever had.
Is it Reefcentral? No. But that's like comparing the PNE to Disneyland. We're a small board in a small country. RC is huge with an international following.
But if you can't find something here, using a Google search with RC limitations will certainly give you an answer, so never any need to wait days.
I understand that this is a small community and it wont get the traffic that rc gets but the amount of people who actually comment and help on here on a regular basis is very small.

There are many questions you wont find answered on here about my tank or others for that mater. As soon as its somewhat a technical question there's only few guys on here that might be able to answer it. Every other answer seems to be "do a water change"

Many people do use google and rc because they know their odds of getting the right answer are better there, but what would be the point of this forum if you just kept telling people to look there?

This is a great local forum but it would be nice if it had more traffic. You gotta call it fow what its is.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I find the opposite Is true. I get replies quicker here than RC. I've waited days many times when I've posted threads on RC. I purposely seek out threads here on CanReef that have few or no replies to try to help those in need, but most threads have a good answer within a few hours.

Like I said in my previous post, there are a handfull of people like yourself and aquattro who try to help out and have really helped me out in the past, but It would just be nice to have more.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Like I said in my previous post, there are a handfull of people like yourself and aquattro who try to help out and have really helped me out in the past, but It would just be nice to have more.
Well, I think the traffic is here, just not a lot of willing people to offer help. I find that it's usually questions that have been beat to death, and the more experienced members just don't want to answer anymore. Nature of the beast I suppose, but certainly not tied to traffic or the number of sponsors here.

Just now I approved a dozen new accounts, as I do most days lately. So lots of new people, and less (participating) old members. This is also cyclic and as the new ones get up to speed, they start answering, and the old ones have for sale posts Really, having been here for 13 years now, I find this year the same as year 2, which was the same as year 7. But we get lots of new people (167 so far since Jan 1). We just need people to chat more.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Well, I think the traffic is here, just not a lot of willing people to offer help. I find that it's usually questions that have been beat to death, and the more experienced members just don't want to answer anymore. Nature of the beast I suppose, but certainly not tied to traffic or the number of sponsors here.

Just now I approved a dozen new accounts, as I do most days lately. So lots of new people, and less (participating) old members. This is also cyclic and as the new ones get up to speed, they start answering, and the old ones have for sale posts Really, having been here for 13 years now, I find this year the same as year 2, which was the same as year 7. But we get lots of new people (167 so far since Jan 1). We just need people to chat more.
Fair enough and very good point. This hobby is growing really fast so we need the experienced members to help the new ones. I know it gets annoying to answer all the basic questions but we were once all there.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Fair enough and very good point. This hobby is growing really fast so we need the experienced members to help the new ones. I know it gets annoying to answer all the basic questions but we were once all there.
Yes, and for the most part, the community here is pretty good. But things like "what salt should I use", what do I do about ich", etc, tend to get a bit old and easily searched on. And hard ware specific is tough, there is so much out there, that the chance someone has what you have AND has/had the same issue are few and far between.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I've been here for awhile and certainly don't consider myself an expert, just experienced. I don't bother answering questions when people could easily use the search function. I get that people are surfing from their phone and its hard to access etc., but some days there are 2 or 3 threads pertaining to the very same thing. It gets old.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Yeah like the quarantine threads lately. Holy crap there are a ton! I get tired of answering them all but I try to because I think it is very important

Iceman, I didn't answer your test kit question because I haven't used Red Sea test kits and I see a question about RowaPhos now that I didn't notice before - can't get them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
I've been here for awhile and certainly don't consider myself an expert, just experienced.
Same here. No letters after my name, so I'm certainly not an expert either.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 02-17-2014 at 11:46 PM.