Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

It's just my nick name and what most of my friends call me, along with other names which I can't use here . Just part of my last name is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
And while I'm thinking about it...you're Mike. What's with the Ande?

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 PM

Yes these are just temperary. I've been using one for awhile now to store my RO water and mixing in. I have them secured to the wall as I know they can slowly colapse side ways near the bottom with the weight of the water. But I've invested money in the hardware department of the tank build and I haven't worked since last year when I busted my arm pretty good. So I'll address this a little later, just don't want to be hauling buckets around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post
Great plans - and you will love that size tank.

Are those garbage cans? May be prudent to avoid using those as they are not known to be stable.

A buddy of mine did a water change station using a glass aquarium, plumbed in-line to the main system. A great idea, collects sediment when not in use, and holds a fixed amount of water so you can buy a balance and weigh the amount of salt required! No more guessing how much to add. Nice. I would use this approach should the time come.
Thanks JonT for the link, yes I really like this set-up. I'm looking to really cut down from the noise I have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post

What's a beananimal style overflow?

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 PM

So here's the RO/RI unit that I will be using. Never ran a RO unit up till this point. Never seemed to have any real issues over the years, but figured it is time. Prevent any guessing over future water issues that may occur.

Last edited by andestang; 05-27-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Very nice. So the booster pump helps lower waste water I think? What does the computer thingy do?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

<raises hand> Oh! Oh! I can answer that Mr. Teacher! A booster pump is a good idea if your source water has low pressure, like that if you're on a well system, because you want your inlet pressure to be >80psi or even closer to 100psi if possible.

<sits back down>
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
<raises hand> Oh! Oh! I can answer that Mr. Teacher! A booster pump is a good idea if your source water has low pressure, like that if you're on a well system, because you want your inlet pressure to be >80psi or even closer to 100psi if possible.

<sits back down>
Keener!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Tagging along..look forward to seeing it come together!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 PM

Triggz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Very nice. So the booster pump helps lower waste water I think? What does the computer thingy do?

Pretty sure the "computer thingy" is an inline digital TDS meter. Might possibly be a membrane monitor too? I have both on my unit.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Oooh a Puratek! Sweet!

That little computer thingy records TDS and other info, and can also be programmed (or already does?) automatic flushes of the membranes. And it does some other stuff I cant remember (I think, lol).

Booster pumps are a great idea for the reasons Tony listed, but are great with any water pressure because they really help to optimize the function(productivity) of the membranes and reduce waste water (your ratio of good to waste is awesome with them, even with cold water and low pressure, like mine).

Congrats on the sweet water management setups! You'll be so happy you set it up right!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:07 AM

Tony you weren't one of those kids I used to throw erasers, gum balls and stuff at sitting in front of the class where you ? Yes I'm on a well out here in the good old country, so yes I need a good steady pressure as my my pressure tank runs between 40 psi to 60 psi so I need something steady. The computer piece is for a few different things like doing an auto back flush, TDS sensor/display for in and out readings and so on. Having a little issue with it I think. The middle canister seems to get air in it and is usually only half full of water or half full of air - depends on how you wanna look at it. Anyone have one to compare ?

Quote:

<sits back down>