Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-14-2012, 11:42 PM

Shwabber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Sorry to hear that Shaun. Guess she was too far gone to handle the stress.
Thanks Gregzz!

I layed her out on a white surface and found a couple of little black crescent shaped things fell off. They were still wriggling around... about 1mm in length. It looked like a dark white grub would look when it curls up...only a little slimmer and dark brown/black in colour. Gonna see if I can ID it on the web.....my neighbor may have a microscope ....so I might see if I can reference it from a stock photo.

75 Gallon Mixed Reef
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81182
Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your fish maybe it was brooklynella? not sure but for identifying a small parasites like brook, you would need a microscope for sure because it's a small protozoare.

Maybe what you found are some flukes, but I doubt it since prazipro would have probably killed them. The best way is to do a scrape but it will be hard to find anything alive if the fish has been dead and out of the water for a few days, maybe even few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwabber View Post
Thanks Gregzz!

I layed her out on a white surface and found a couple of little black crescent shaped things fell off. They were still wriggling around... about 1mm in length. It looked like a dark white grub would look when it curls up...only a little slimmer and dark brown/black in colour. Gonna see if I can ID it on the web.....my neighbor may have a microscope ....so I might see if I can reference it from a stock photo.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:48 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Yikes !
I'd try to keep some in a SW container and see if the LFS can help you identify them uglies
Old 01-15-2012, 08:13 PM

No help on ID...however I have moved everyone to the Hospital tank as the Fox-Face and the other Clown were showing some white areas on theit fins...the Hippo was not but I'm going to treat them all.

Daniella...what are your treatment suggestions with Paraguard...the bottle states every day as necessary....but I am thinking every other day with a water change in between??? For 5 goes maybe???

75 Gallon Mixed Reef
Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

every day as the dosage on the bottle, I think one cap full for each 10 gallons every day, for at least 2 weeks. I am keeping it for 3 weeks.

I did 3 weeks for my trigger and he did not have any problem with it.

Now I have Paraguard in my tank for 10 days and the corals that I have in there are still alive (clove polyp and green star polyp, zoan, paly) as well as the aiptasias unfortunatly, but at least the fish have stopped scratching.

I don't think Paraguard is very harsh medicine but I would never overdose or underdose, just stick to the instruction on the bottle and dose each day so that what ever parasite is on the fish it will not have the chance to develop resistance.

This look more and more to be brooklynella since it started on the clownfish. If it was marine velvet I guess it would have spread much faster than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwabber View Post
No help on ID...however I have moved everyone to the Hospital tank as the Fox-Face and the other Clown were showing some white areas on theit fins...the Hippo was not but I'm going to treat them all.

Daniella...what are your treatment suggestions with Paraguard...the bottle states every day as necessary....but I am thinking every other day with a water change in between??? For 5 goes maybe???
Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 PM
On Hiatus

I agree with daniella, stick to the bottle dose and do not stop it until everyone looks cleared up. If you go every other day, you may cause an immunity in the 'bugs'.
Do all of your normal maintenance, and if you're not, once a week water changes.
Something to consider too, is that you should turn your skimmer off during treatment. If they are all in a QT, I'd recommend using a HOB filter with no carbon. Read the last line below.

This is straight from the Seachem site;

Q: Is ParaGuard™ safe for use in marine reef tanks with invertebrates and soft corals?
A: We do not sell or market ParaGuard as invert safe because it would be impossible to test it with every available invert under every potential water parameter. We have had people use it with invertabrates with no problems, but we have also had people encounter problems. If you decide to use it we stress caution; dose at 1/4 to 1/2 dose and observe how your inverts and soft corals react. If they seem to tolerate the dosing, increase slowly up to no more than the prescribed dose as long as they are tolerating it. If you need to get rid of the ParaGuard™ quickly, just turn your skimmer back on.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM
On Hiatus

And don't forget to aerate the QT well as formalin decreases Oxygen levels, as will heavy respirating
Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I agree with daniella, stick to the bottle dose and do not stop it until everyone looks cleared up. If you go every other day, you may cause an immunity in the 'bugs'.
Do all of your normal maintenance, and if you're not, once a week water changes.
Something to consider too, is that you should turn your skimmer off during treatment. If they are all in a QT, I'd recommend using a HOB filter with no carbon. Read the last line below.

This is straight from the Seachem site;

Q: Is ParaGuard™ safe for use in marine reef tanks with invertebrates and soft corals?
A: We do not sell or market ParaGuard as invert safe because it would be impossible to test it with every available invert under every potential water parameter. We have had people use it with invertabrates with no problems, but we have also had people encounter problems. If you decide to use it we stress caution; dose at 1/4 to 1/2 dose and observe how your inverts and soft corals react. If they seem to tolerate the dosing, increase slowly up to no more than the prescribed dose as long as they are tolerating it. If you need to get rid of the ParaGuard™ quickly, just turn your skimmer back on.

Excellent thanks to both of you!!

I have them in QT... HOB basic sponge filter ...no carbon.... treating once per day at recommended dosage... have a 14 inch bubble curtain set up...lots of aeration... using Seachem Prime as well to help curb amonia ......planning on 25% water changes daily..before the next meds are introduced. Just did a water change of near 50% as my amonia had come up to 0.25 ppm already after 2 days. Two of the three of them are eating fine.... my Hippo however is not happy and has not eaten last nighht or today yet....she is hiding on her side under a piece of PVC (which is all I have in there...2 PVc T's and a big Y).

Keep you posted!

75 Gallon Mixed Reef