Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 09-21-2004, 08:07 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default Close Call

I was re-arranging some corals in my tank last night and my Dwarf lion took a run at my hand. I haven't moved that fast in a long time. Anyone in Calgary ever get stuck by a lion? Do the hostpitals have anti-venom?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 09-21-2004, 09:03 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

"The venomous nature of this species is substantial and a sting from the red lionfish constitutes a serious health emergency. Localized symptoms of envenomation by the red lionfish include but are not limited to, persistent, intense, throbbing, radiating, sharp pain at the site of envenomation, tingling sensations, sweatiness, and blistering. The worst cases of envenomation may cause systemic repercussions including headache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, delirium, seizures, paralysis of limbs, a rise or drop in blood pressure, respiratory distress, heart complications including congestive heart failure, pulmonary edema, tremors, muscle weakness, and loss of consciousness. Basic treatment includes immersing the afflicted area in hot water (to 45° C) as past case histories informally indicate that certain components of red lionfish venom may be inactivated by heat. Professional medical attention should be sought in any case of red lionfish envenomation.

The red lionfish is aggressive, even engaging potential threats with a spines forward approach. This species should be treated with care at all times. Worldwide, scorpionfishes rank second only to stingrays in total number of envenomations, with an estimated occurrence of approximately 40,000 - 50,000 cases annually."

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Galler...RLionfish.html

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 09-21-2004, 09:59 PM

Default reply

Even though my white line dwarf is a wee little thing it still scared me when it came at me spikes first. Go to know the symptoms just in case,
Thanks!
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:36 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

I've been stung by dwarfs, volitans and fu man chu's on several occasions in the last three years and, thankfully, am not allergic to the reaction (well, as unallergic as anyone is to venom... ). From my experience, it is like a long and drawn out bee sting with regards to pain level. Not fun.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 PM

Default reply

Did you go to the hospital? if so what did the doctor say?

Old 09-23-2004, 03:28 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Nope. It just wore off. I just applied warm (almost hot) water to the area for several minutes until the pain dissapated.

Edit: keep in mind, though, that I do not have an allergic reaction to the venom.