Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-11-2013, 07:04 AM

Z frag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I've never rolled a bucket of salt in 12 years, it's always consistent. Settling of salt components isn't going to double the alk reading on new water. If it's 16dKh now, it's going to be ~16 after rolling it.
I agree with you I've been using IO for years as well.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default salt

i can always test with my hannas
Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I've never rolled a bucket of salt in 12 years, it's always consistent. Settling of salt components isn't going to double the alk reading on new water. If it's 16dKh now, it's going to be ~16 after rolling it.

I'm with Brad never rolled a bucket since 2002, might have kicked a bucket on a few things
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM

LeanneP is on a distinguished road

I too have had issues with IO salt. I called them and they told me to send me a sample and they sent me a new bucket of salt. This was in Jan 2012 and I was getting 17 for alk.
Recently, I noticed that my Mg was dropping and I tested a batch of new salt water. It was only 1200 so that was why it kept dropping every time I did a w/c. It was a newer bucket so I scooped out half of it and mixed it really thoroughly and next batch was 1300 so it does seemto make a difference to mix it up well. Just my experience anyways.

Leanne
Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 PM

Aquaticguy11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneP View Post
I too have had issues with IO salt. I called them and they told me to send me a sample and they sent me a new bucket of salt. This was in Jan 2012 and I was getting 17 for alk.
Recently, I noticed that my Mg was dropping and I tested a batch of new salt water. It was only 1200 so that was why it kept dropping every time I did a w/c. It was a newer bucket so I scooped out half of it and mixed it really thoroughly and next batch was 1300 so it does seemto make a difference to mix it up well. Just my experience anyways.

Leanne
Ya I phoned them today and they are sending me a new bucket of salt. Hopefully the levels are good in this one.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

low alkalinity that could be caused by a water change would not wipe out your tank and kill your fish. Something else must have killed a fish, which created ammonia and then created a chain reaction and killed more fish, and corals.

If your alkalinity is 8 and you do a 20% water change with a salt that is 5kh, that will not affect your KH in your tank significantly.

I had my kh at 5 before I started dosing at some point and that did not kill anything in my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostafew View Post
I had the same issue. Bought my bucket from a local vendor on Boxing day of 2011. Sad to say it killed my tank. Alk was low, Mag and Calc were through the roof, who knows what else was wrong. Took me forever to figure out what wiped out ALL fish and inverts in my tank... I did notice the consistency was different than my previous buckets. Usually it's somewhat coarse, like table salt. This time it was much finer, like baking sugar almost.

I know that a lot of people have success with IO (and I did for 2 years before that too), but I've switched brands now.