Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown lover View Post
Ya I was told by the folks at J&L to always roll a new bucket of IO around for a while to mix up any settling while the stuff sits in stock. I would think it's a good idea with any.
I've never rolled a bucket of salt in 12 years, it's always consistent. Settling of salt components isn't going to double the alk reading on new water. If it's 16dKh now, it's going to be ~16 after rolling it.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
IO did have issues a few years ago where alk was very high and killed a bunch of tanks.
Wasn't that Kent? I always thought IO was in the clear but maybe not.

Quote:
I would expect though, that they would not let that happen again. Where did you buy the salt? Maybe someone else has a bucket from the same batch they could test?
I second this idea.. I just cracked open a bucket (but it was bought in December) I'll try to remember to test its Alk tonight and see what I get, I'll post back in here the results.

I can't remember, does IO print batch info or dates on the buckets? I don't recall seeing anything like that.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:19 PM

Aquaticguy11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
IO did have issues a few years ago where alk was very high and killed a bunch of tanks. I would expect though, that they would not let that happen again. Where did you buy the salt? Maybe someone else has a bucket from the same batch they could test?
I bought the salt at the purple seahorse here in kelowna.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic4L View Post
Roll your bucket ?
I always do that.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Wasn't that Kent? I always thought IO was in the clear but maybe not.
Pretty sure it was IO. About 6 or 7 years ago.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I just recently had a bout with a bad bucket of IO...but the problem was the opposite. The alk was really low. I have always used other salts (not IO) that were consistent but with the big tank...the budget has come more into play. I started testing and found my tank alk was really low...then I tested the freshly made water from the last bit of the salt out of that bucket and it was between 4-5. The next bucket I opened went back to the 10-11 that I was expecting from IO. I've been slowing bringing my Alk back up in my tank. Now I always check every new batch and I roll every bucket (have for years).

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
I just recently had a bout with a bad bucket of IO...but the problem was the opposite. The alk was really low. I have always used other salts (not IO) that were consistent but with the big tank...the budget has come more into play. I started testing and found my tank alk was really low...then I tested the freshly made water from the last bit of the salt out of that bucket and it was between 4-5. The next bucket I opened went back to the 10-11 that I was expecting from IO. I've been slowing bringing my Alk back up in my tank. Now I always check every new batch and I roll every bucket (have for years).
Wow that's really weird. I don't know what i should do with this salt to lower the alk but I can't really use it anymore. What a waste of money.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 PM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

Its fine just do smaller waterchanges. It has been discussed here a few times.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Duker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've never rolled a bucket of salt in 12 years, it's always consistent. Settling of salt components isn't going to double the alk reading on new water. If it's 16dKh now, it's going to be ~16 after rolling it.
But sometimes the additives to the salt seperate, rolling or scooping/stirring the salt always a good idea. It does happen, and there are bad batches out there to. I recall Seachem aquavitro salt and Kent having issues like this in the past. Guess better safe than sorry, roll/mix/stir bucket and test before using!

Good lord, can u imagine the headache of doing H2O changes as usual and then ooh oh!

75 gallon in-wall SPS dominant and some sweet zoas, attached 30 gallon refugium/seahorse tank, attached 15 gallon mangroves/bad boy tank/pod factory, 40 gallon sump.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Just a guy..

Sorry, I disagree. Any separation of ingredients IMO is miniscule. Like I said, I've never rolled a bucket (other than one I dropped) and I'm not about to start.
For fun, I'll make a gallon of water off the top of my new bucket, then roll it all over, make another gallon and post the differences in alk and Ca.