Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2005, 06:37 PM

geopod is on a distinguished road
Default A question for Everyone about the Newbie forum

When I was living in Nova Scotia.I was a newbie on the reef site there.We had mentors that we would go to for help.Preferably someone that was close to you if emergency arissed.I found this to be very helpful.And the newbie wouldnt post what they thought was a stupid question they would contact that mentor for them.Also a newbie wont post alot of their questions as they dont wanna look stupid to all the other reefers especially if they lost some expensive coral or fish.Cause we know how the boards get sometimes with different opinions of people who post.And that could end up pushing some of these people away in discouragement.I would be more than willing to be a mentor to someone.I have been in the hobby for 3yrs but FW for 12yrs(discus Breeding) but I still consider myself a newbie.I still learn stuff everyday from the board as well as other people.If I do have a question I sometimes PM someone to ask for advice.I know the only stupid question is the one thats not asked.Sometimes newbies feel threatened,and intimidated by the answers they get. Just a thought do you think this is too much in regards to the newbie idea?What are some opinions?I know everyone has lives and are busy.But we are all on here at some point.Maybe we would have 5 PM's instead of 1 or none.

George