Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-04-2005, 03:55 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTV
Wow.. that was hard to read.
Did you have any problems keeping 3 at the same time?

Maybe I'll look around for a Fuzzy Dwarf.
Anyone even got stung by one? How bad does it hurt?

Do you think it would be mean to keep it in a 10 gallon if I can't leave it in the Reef tank?
Mine was pretty chunky in a 50g - the fuzzy's grow pretty quick
Old 06-04-2005, 04:06 AM

blood_hound is on a distinguished road

I got 4. No problem at all. When I order them from jl they asure me that they will eat frozen and that I don't need to train them.

I've been stung once ,when I suddenly pull out my hand from the tank when one of my lion brush up on me and I hit the other lion and stung my self "it hurt like hell my hand was numb for almost 2 days"

10g tank is a big No No. You can keep them in a reef tank My lion tank has few corals in it you just can't keep shrimps and other small fish that will fit in its mouth.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:31 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Okay so I did some searching on Zebra lionfish and didn't actually find out a lot. Are they about the same size as a Dwarf Lionfish? when you say make sure they can't fit a tankmate in their mouth, how big would that be? Say I get a Zebra and yes you have me thinking. What size of chromis would I want to feed it if I didn't want to go the frozen route?

Doug
Old 06-04-2005, 05:56 PM

geopod is on a distinguished road

I am thinking the same thing.I read all the posts and Danny I read your page attachment.How did you set your tank up I would like to see a few pics of what your tank looks like.IE..plants rock worketc...I can get my fingers on a dwarf today.But my spare tank just has substrate in it right now as I am trying to figure out how to set it up with stuff.But I would like to see some pics

george
Old 06-06-2005, 03:23 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Sorry I don't have any pics of Mr. Phoomps right now but this is where he lives.

In my experience a full grown Dendrochirus will not eat a 1.75 inch clown, small tangs or 1.5 inch cleaner shrimp in pairs, or manderines. That is what I have currently. Dendrochirus brachypterus, or dwarf lionfish (also called fuzzy lionfish) are the same size and shape as Dendrochirus zebra. For some reason the zebra is more difficult to train to eat frozen foods but once they are trained they are fun to watch. They require caves or overhanges large enough for them to perch in, and spend most of the day doing just that. Until evening when they become more active as the hunt begins, and this is when I feed Mr. Phoomps.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 06-07-2005, 04:04 PM

Do you do a daily feeding or every two days etc etc. So they wont even eat cleaner shrimp??? wow that's good news I'll give it some thought but I'm just not sure.

Doug
Old 06-07-2005, 04:24 PM

Default reply

I feed it different things each day based on Deb's regiment. One day he mysis along with all the other tank mates. The next he gets half a silverside while the other fish get brine shrimp. Sometimes he'll grab small bits of brine shrimp if he's still hungry. He's usually mad at me if I miss a day.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:40 AM

Thanks Danny, jury is still out on a lion fish for me. I think I'm going to go fish only for a bit but I may just stick with reef safe fish for now. A couple of clowns (saddlebacks) perhaps a couple of feather fins in the future etc. Have to see.

Doug
Old 06-08-2005, 05:04 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Danny how big does the dwarf lion get? I was thinking about getting one for a smaller tank I have.
Greg
Old 06-08-2005, 03:04 PM

Default reply

Hey Greg, the Dwarf and the Zebra will max out around 5-6 inches. I don't recommend an adult in anything less than a 33 gallon tank, as long as there are ample caves and other territory. There are a couple of species that are smaller when full grown as well.