Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-01-2006, 08:36 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road
Default 265 gallon setup

here is a couple pictures of my new 265 gallon tank on the stand, it is a little difficult to see where it ends but the cardboard on top is the cap and goes the whole length, there is another tank up against it at the end, sorry for the bad picture. the dimensions are 84"L X 24"W X 30"D. and the other pic is of the 5 chamber reactor, its also not a great photo but there will be better ones later. this reactor is amazing, it does it all and then some. definitely worth looking into for you to upgrade or to even start with a calcium reactor. i've got everything from hidden reef and they have been amazing, mike nikki and mark have spent countless hours answering my questions and bending over backwards to help me out. the tank should be plumbed in the next week, hopefully earlier (huh hmmm mike?) just kidding. i'm using a 70 gallon sump underneath with a dart for a return and a barracuda for the closed loop, i'm thinking this is still insufficient flow in the tank but we'll see how it turns out. skimmer is still in the air as to what to use but mike is looking into some options. some of you may have followed my other post of starting a 125 but i upgraded from that before it was done, figured it was easier to do now rather than later. for additional flow i'm thinking possibly 2 tunzes with controller or wavy seas with controller. i'm leaning towards tunzes but hope you guys can give some input here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of 100_0505.jpg (24.0 KB, 994 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of 100_0506.jpg (32.4 KB, 759 views)

my tank setup

Last edited by niloc16; 09-14-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:49 AM

today i bought my equipment for my saltwater mixing. i 33gallon garbage can, GX 6000 pump to push the new water up to my sump on the main floor. i also installed my RO/DI unit and started flushing the system, i'm still waiting to get the fittings for it to do a final install. i installed the plumbing in the wall and through my cold air duct of the furnace to the main floor and installed 2 cable mounting plates and drilled the holes out to fit the RO line and the new salt water line. a neater install will be done in the basement once i get the remainging fittings for the RO. let me know what you think, and if someone would let me know how to make the pictures bigger on the post that would be awesome

this is the wall outlets where the lines will come through

this is the plumbing in the floor joists going in to the cold air duct

here is the mixing bucket roughed in

here is the RO/DI installed and roughed in just flushing out

my tank setup

Last edited by niloc16; 09-04-2006 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:22 AM

Squiddy is on a distinguished road

Have you got a webspace somewhere that you can host the pictures on? Like shaw webspace? If you put the pictures somewhere like that, you can have them a lot bigger.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:03 AM

no i dont but thanks anyway

my tank setup
Old 09-04-2006, 02:58 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

You can sign up to host your pictures on photobucket - it's free and even I can do it most of the time.
What skimmer is that in the 2nd picture?
Old 09-04-2006, 04:20 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Looks Great Colin So have you decided on a skimmer. How bout that massive H&S.

J
Old 09-04-2006, 06:41 PM

ruth thats not actually a skimmer it is a 5 chamber reactor, it is a calcium reactor plus what ever other media you want to run its an amazing setup, the picture didnt turn out well but when i get it setup and filled and i'll post more with more details, hidden reef is selling them right now.

jason - i'm still undecided, i may take on a new skimmer not on the market yet, but i'll let you guys know as soon as i get one.

my tank setup
Old 09-04-2006, 06:46 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

Those are pretty sweet dimensions on your tank. However, 30" would be a little too tall for me (curse these stubby arms ). It is nice to have a giant viewing pane though.

Have fun with the project.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:45 PM

i'm thinking the same thing with the height, i'm going to have to invest in a 3 step stool or something. anyone know a link on ways of doing pvc structure, i'm thinking of doing alot of archways and overhangs so i'm thinking pvc would be strongest

my tank setup
Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc16
ruth thats not actually a skimmer it is a 5 chamber reactor, it is a calcium reactor plus what ever other media you want to run its an amazing setup, the picture didnt turn out well but when i get it setup and filled and i'll post more with more details, hidden reef is selling them right now.

jason - i'm still undecided, i may take on a new skimmer not on the market yet, but i'll let you guys know as soon as i get one.
Well I'll be snookered - it looked like a big H&S or something. I'll have to do some more research on that baby.
Here is my latest toy - just waiting for the rest of the PVC needed to plumb the outflow then I will fire it up - the thing I really don't like about buying European products is that you cannot find any fittings that will fit if you happen to break one or want to modify.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...h/IMG_3757.jpg