Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

That diaper thing cracked me up. I'll have to get some of those and scare the crap out of my boyfriend one day

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:56 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I keep forgetting this is an acylic tank. Good diligent rules for the cleaning; Probably wouldn't hurt to be that particular about a glass tank as well. Scratches can sure be disappointing.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Having two tanks continues to wear me down. It's too much for me to maintain both tanks. Yesterday, I moved the clam, green carpet anemone and the Maroon clownfish into the new tank. All seem to have settled in well.

I was lucky that the clownfish is so territorial about his anemone because it made it possible to catch him in the old tank. He refused to leave that anemone, so I simply placed the net over top...It only took him about 2 minutes in the new tank to locate his old anemone and move in.

Moving the anemone was a sticky experience. I wish I had taken a photo of my hand because it was covered with bright green bits. You just can't handle those carpet anemones without them latching on to you.

The only thing remaining in the old tank now are some SPS that need to be cleaned of red bugs, and the live rock which needs to be cleaned of red flatworms. It is still sad to be shutting the old tank down after 15 years, even though I've now got my dream tank running.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 AM

Default The worst...

Bad news when I got home today.

This picture says all that need be said...Ciranolid..

Oh man..if this thing reproduces I could lose every fish. This is most seriously bad news.

This looks like a job for CIRANOLID HUNTER...oh where are you caped crustacean crusader???!!!.... Expert says the following, let's hope it works.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Man I really feel for you after reading that post those things are scary most likely lot of peops have them but just dont know as they're nocturnal hope you can catch all of them btw that picture was taken when you got home so the lights were on I thought they came out only at night?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Man I really feel for you after reading that post those things are scary most likely lot of peops have them but just dont know as they're nocturnal hope you can catch all of them btw that picture was taken when you got home so the lights were on I thought they came out only at night?
Yes, I think they are generally noctural. I suppose I was lucky to have seen it during the daylight hours. It remained attached for at least 8 or 9 hours and has detached sometime in the middle of last night.

A close look at the yellow tang suggests that it may not have been the first time he's been attacked. He has a small scar near the area where this ciranolid was attached. It will be interesting to see if he now has two small scars...

Trap goes in tonight.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:04 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Yowzers. Good luck!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

What a nightmare! I hope you get them all!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:15 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

What kind of trap catches those guys?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 05-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
What kind of trap catches those guys?
Danny a few traps are used to catch these buggers the most effective that was mentioned that is for the smaller ones was a turkey baster with thawed food water for the larger ones a net and the same technique water from thawed food the scent supposedly attracts them 30 seconds after the lights are out there is also one more technique called fish trap inverted bottle with hole drilled in cap all of this can be found on the link posted under the yellow tang pic.