Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 AM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

Haha, Yesssss. My lil package came today.
I can not believe it got here so quick. I have ordered from some of the more well known online stores in the USA and every time it has taken a minimum of 10 days to get to Sumas WA, where I go and pick it up. One time I tried having it delivered to my door and it took over three weeks to arrive and it was only an impeller for my Red Dragon skimmer pump.

This stuff was shipped from Hong Kong Last Monday and it was at my local post office yesterday!!! WOW! Pretty impressive

So these are the goods and the prices..

Jebao Twins Linkage Controller
Select Controller: Package RW-20 (+ $140.00) $140.00 This is 2 RW20ps and the twin controller for 140 bucks!

Jebao RW/ FS/ RW20 Replacement Kits
Extension Cord (100cm) $10.00

Boyu Water Level Alarm $4.00

Liquid Box 3 Room $22.50

Apex / GHL to Jebao RW DC WP Pump $34.99

I have some Tunze powerheads and waveboxes, but at this price, I figured would try these out.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:54 AM

So this is about where my original thread ended and I never added to it.
Life got busy and the tank sat at my entryway for about 2 months.
Of course the wife had much to say about this, but I reminded her that she was the one who talked me into setting up a saltwater tank for her in the first place, which has lead to this addiction...

The 2 months gave me time to think about how I was going to set up the new tank and change the sump room.

So I organized the endeavor, had my daughters friends come by and help me out for all the food they had eaten over the years...

Of course I was not going to lift this sucker up by hand, so off to the rental store to pick up this...

What is this you ask? It is a Genie, material lifter. It will lift 600lbs 18ft in the air...I call it a blessing!!!

Needless to say I had to bring it up all the damn stairs! good thing it was a rental, cause I gave it a push down the stairs, when I was done with it. Amazing how fast one of those can go down 20 stairs...

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 03-05-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:59 AM

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics of us lifting the tank into place with the material lifter....We never would have gotten it up there without it and it was so easy to do...

Anyways, this is where I kept my lil friends while exchanging the tanks out.

and this is some of the plumbing needed to set up the new tank with the Bean Animal...

Old 03-05-2015, 08:06 AM

Ripped out the old plumbing

put the 180 gal bowfront out on the lawn
It is for sale....7000.00 with the stand.

I felt sooo bad...One of the cardinals went missing about 4 days before do the tank swap. Figured it was just his time and he became crab food. After getting the tank out on the lawn, I started to take the bulkheads off an hour or so later. guess who I saw laying at the bottom of the tank, inside the overflow box? Yep...Mr Cardinal and he did not look none to healthy

Lesson learned, forgotten and remembered....Remember to look in the overflow box if you are missing a critter...

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 03-05-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:23 AM

WooHooo! Tank in place and ready for action...

Hmmm, damn it..I knew I forgot to do something! never cleaned the inside of the tank before lifting it in place!! aaaargh!!

Lesson# 3 or 5, maybe 10...When you make a list detailing each thing needing to be done. listing each task to be done in order, so that you do not forget anything while rushing around...Maybe try reading it when completing a task or two..!! Ugh...

Thank goodness for skinny folks...

Old 03-05-2015, 08:29 AM

Getting to be late by the time this picture was taken. Started at 8:00 am by picking up material lift, then emptying tank of criiters etc. Started swapping tanks at 12ish and finished by 2 ish...Spent the rest of the time setting up the rock..Gawd my arms needed to be 3 inches longer...

i think it was about 9ish when the pic was taken..
Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 AM

I kept about 75% of the water from the bowfront setup and had another 150 gals mixed up downstairs to fill the DT, sump and refugium.

The water is pretty murky all said and done, but the critters were all fine. corals started coming out about 20 mins after placing them in the tank.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Now that I think about it, I did the move on the family day long weekend..Not a bad way to spend some time with the family..Right?

This is how the tank looked the next morning....

No loss of critters...

just in case you are wondering...No, that is not how I am leaving the aquascaping. We just threw everything in there for the nite, so the critters did not get stressed out.

Bought the Hawaian black substrate online from Drs fosters and whoever. Good timing as it was on sale for 12 bucks a bag, regular 20.00, so i bought 8 bags, had it shipped for free to Pic It Up in Sumas Wa and then brought it across the border 5 days later. Substrate is bagged by Caribsea and comes live...It is quite nice. Has black, with white and red specks.

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 03-05-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 AM

A week passed by, before I had the time or energy to revamp some of the sump room. The wires to the apex etc were a mess.

I have an apex with 2 EB8s and a EB4. They power the Bubble king mini 180 (which is now too small for a 400 gal system, so it is for sale), three schlobster dosers from J&L, three metal halides, 4 t5s and some moonlights, the two return pumps, Tunze ATO, 2 x 300w heaters, 1/2 HP chiller,Waste water pump and a new salt water pump, a few power bars and some misc stuff.

I have the Fluval, carbon reactor, GFO reactor and 40 watt UV running off the return pump, so there are not individual pumps for each of them. The return pumps are a Pan world 250PS and a 150PS.

At this time I am dosing Calcium, magnesium and Sodium carbonate. I buy bulk schlobster from J&L and mix it up , following Randy Holmes 2 part mix. Being new to the hobby, I am not sure if this is better than buying ready made 2 part or not. I am happy how my critters are doing so, no reason to change it up yet.

I was using regulat IO salt but started using the IO reef salt when I swapped tanks. Figured it was easier to keep up parameters with a reef salt. Time will tell.

This is the refugium. I have the DT tank drain into here, the water is mechanically filtered thru a 100 micron fabric, 200 micron carbon filter, a lime filter, and some other 2/3 stage filters, then to the refugium, which is full of pods. It is then siphoned into the sump, thru 2, 1 1/2" outlets, where the skimmer and reactors are. The water goes thru another set of mechanical filters and finally back up to the DT.

I have the Apex AFS drop pellets just above the return pump inlet, where they are sucked up and pushed into the the DT, twice a day. There are 6 return nozzles/loc lines that have shut off valves on them to control the waterflow from each one. The food gets dispersed thru them all, so all the critters get a fair chance at the pellets. I feed my own mixture of frozen blood worms, mysis, clams, oysters, and plankton once a day in the morning time.
I have just about completed my top secret auto frozen fish food feeder. I have a super mini freezer that keeps a 2 weeks supply of frozen food in it and then spits out a cube once a day into a small container, where it can un thaw and be pushed out a lil at a time by the powerheads...It is about 12' x 1.5 inches x 3 inches...

This is the before pic of the sump room, not a lot different, just a little less mess of wires and pipes etc

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 03-05-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:11 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Holy cow dude, what a ton of work!!! But it looks great, congrats on the upgrade. My one suggestion is look into a Ca reactor and contemplate ditching the Ca and Alk dosing. With a tank that big and the inevitable growth of corals, you're going to tire of dosing pretty quick.