Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-16-2008, 04:29 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Oh My God Colin I'm sad to see such devastaion.
I've heard of problems when switching salts before but I've never seen it this bad.

J
Old 08-16-2008, 05:08 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Colin really sorry to hear about your losses.

I have often thought of changing my salt (Instant Ocean) but i have never had the courage. I certainly will never think twice about it now.

Keep us posted as to any other ideas you come up with about the cause.

Tom R
Old 08-16-2008, 05:57 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

The pictures are depressing and certainly show that your colonies are pretty upset; however, I almost guarantee the destruction you see is a result of the high borate alk from the Seachem, the shift was to fast or the ALK test was not accurate. Why change something that works? Instant Ocean is good salt! I have often thought about changing salt but in the end never went through with it. Everyone’s reef and all the inhabitants get used to the chemistry of the tank regardless of the salt that is used, when a change comes to quickly is when disaster happens.

I also agree with Snappy, ZEOvit sponge power would be an excellent choice to help these corals heal but I would also add Coral Snow. Coral Snow doubles as a transporter or carrier of elements, within our water composition, easing their absorption [incorporation] by our corals as well as causing the skimmer to skim out extra toxins etc from the water column. Coral Snow has facilitated both of these functions very well for me.

Apart from one of the colonies you pictured that had obvious tissue necrosis, I believe given a little time and the right counter measures you will once again have a beautiful tank.

Here is a list of exactly what I would do should this situation happen to me, take it or leave it.

All dosages are formulated considering your water volume including your sump. Am I correct that you water volume is about 440 gallons?

~ Mix 18ml of ZEOvit Coral Snow with 18 drops of Sponge power. (Helps deliver elements to the coral more efficiently) Also add ZEOvit Coral Vitalizer 18drops per day alternating mixing with coral snow. These supplements all can be used on a non ZEOvit tank with excellent results.

~Let mixture stand for 5 mins then dose into high flow are of tank or sump. Do not turn off skimmer. Tank will cloud heavily for 2-3 hours.

~Change Carbon once every two weeks for the first month. Then once a month after.

~5% water change per week, any more than this may shift ALK too quickly. Sounds like you have already changed lots of water.

~Reduce photoperiod a couple of hours if possible for a couple of weeks.

~Adjust skimmer to skim very wet.

~Test for stray voltage

~Test for copper (never know!)

Confirm RO/DI TDS is ZERO!

Adjust water parameters to as close to NSW values as possible

ALK 7.5-8.5 DKH
SG 1.025-1.026
Temp 78-82 minimal fluctuation
K+ 380 (potassium)
CA 380-420
MG 1325-1500 ppm
PH 8.0-8.3

Nitrate 0-15 ppm
Po4 0 !!

I would be happy to give you some frags should you need to replace any colonies that won't make it.

Let us know the progress.

Details on products recommended by snappy and I.

CORAL SNOW

For small polyp and large polyp stony corals, soft corals and clams as well as problem solving/solution in a salt water tank.

Coral Snow is a liquid secondary biological facilitator for elements like B-Balance or Potassium-Iodide/Fluoride Concentrate. Compatibel with all elements, also for Amino Acid and Vitalizer. Coral Snow contains among others a natural Calcium-Magnesium Carbonate mix. With just 2.5µ Coral Snow has an optimal size for absorption by SPS corals.
We dose Coral Snow daily with another element each. The dosage can be put into a glass together with another product, mixed and after about 5 min. slowly into the streaming of your tank.

You can dose 1 to max. 4 ml Coral Snow per 100L/25gallons tank water daily.

Coral Snow neutralizes undesirable acids and is a solution against e.g. slime algae and cyano bacteria.
Therefore take Corals Snow and add 1 drop of ZEObak per 100L/25 gallons tank water each 2nd day.

The cloudiness in the water is harmless for all fish as well as sensitive corals.

SPONGE POWER

Enhanced growth of sponges and sea squirt support their water cleaning character and thus water quality significantly.
SPS corals get longer colored growing tips.
Especially purple is enhanced on all SPS.
The recovery of harmed corals is highly improved.

Dosing: 1 drop for 25 gallons or 1 ml for 500 gallons daily.

Last edited by Oceanic; 08-16-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

HOLY CRAP! Colin, that's Terrible. I've admired your tank so much. I hope you can get it back on track soon. I've used IO salt from day 1 and have sometimes thought of switching brands. Maybe not a good idea.
Good Luck and chin up!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:16 PM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
IMHO the biggest SPS killer excluding bugs, disease etc is fluctuating alkalinity or alkalinity that has dropped or has risen rapidly. Let me guess you are using a Salifert alkalinity test kit to monitor your alkalinity?
no i'm using ELOS actually. i do agree with the 'killer' but it came from the salt change

my tank setup
Old 08-16-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
Colin, that is some scarey recession. Are you sure it is just the salt? Nothing got dropped in by children? stray voltage? etc? How many water changes did you do with the bad salt batch? How long since you switched to a better salt after you noticed the problem? What salt are you using now? Have you tried dosing sponge power to see if it will help what's left alive heal faster?
the tank is pretty sealed up as far as kids being able to get in. no one touches it but me. stray voltage? maybe but cannot find any cause of it. i went through an entire bucket of salt before it really started to show. i could a slow start of color loss half way through the bucket but never attached it to the salt, once the second bucket started, then it was game on. i've done about 160gallon of IO changes and the death has slowed a bit. i have never heard of sponge power! i have put extra carbon in to absorb some of the death

my tank setup
Old 08-16-2008, 06:40 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
The pictures are depressing and certainly show that your colonies are pretty upset; however, I almost guarantee the destruction you see is a result of the high borate alk from the Seachem, the shift was to fast or the ALK test was not accurate. Why change something that works? Instant Ocean is good salt! I have often thought about changing salt but in the end never went through with it. Everyone’s reef and all the inhabitants get used to the chemistry of the tank regardless of the salt that is used, when a change comes to quickly is when disaster happens.

I also agree with Snappy, ZEOvit sponge power would be an excellent choice to help these corals heal but I would also add Coral Snow. Coral Snow doubles as a transporter or carrier of elements, within our water composition, easing their absorption [incorporation] by our corals as well as causing the skimmer to skim out extra toxins etc from the water column. Coral Snow has facilitated both of these functions very well for me.

Apart from one of the colonies you pictured that had obvious tissue necrosis, I believe given a little time and the right counter measures you will once again have a beautiful tank.

Here is a list of exactly what I would do should this situation happen to me, take it or leave it.

All dosages are formulated considering your water volume including your sump. Am I correct that you water volume is about 440 gallons?

~ Mix 18ml of ZEOvit Coral Snow with 18 drops of Sponge power. (Helps deliver elements to the coral more efficiently) Also add ZEOvit Coral Vitalizer 18drops per day alternating mixing with coral snow. These supplements all can be used on a non ZEOvit tank with excellent results.

~Let mixture stand for 5 mins then dose into high flow are of tank or sump. Do not turn off skimmer. Tank will cloud heavily for 2-3 hours.

~Change Carbon once every two weeks for the first month. Then once a month after.

~5% water change per week, any more than this may shift ALK too quickly. Sounds like you have already changed lots of water.

~Reduce photoperiod a couple of hours if possible for a couple of weeks.

~Adjust skimmer to skim very wet.

~Test for stray voltage

~Test for copper (never know!)

Confirm RO/DI TDS is ZERO!

Adjust water parameters to as close to NSW values as possible

ALK 7.5-8.5 DKH
SG 1.025-1.026
Temp 78-82 minimal fluctuation
K+ 380 (potassium)
CA 380-420
MG 1325-1500 ppm
PH 8.0-8.3

Nitrate 0-15 ppm
Po4 0 !!

I would be happy to give you some frags should you need to replace any colonies that won't make it.

Let us know the progress.

Details on products recommended by snappy and I.

CORAL SNOW

For small polyp and large polyp stony corals, soft corals and clams as well as problem solving/solution in a salt water tank.

Coral Snow is a liquid secondary biological facilitator for elements like B-Balance or Potassium-Iodide/Fluoride Concentrate. Compatibel with all elements, also for Amino Acid and Vitalizer. Coral Snow contains among others a natural Calcium-Magnesium Carbonate mix. With just 2.5µ Coral Snow has an optimal size for absorption by SPS corals.
We dose Coral Snow daily with another element each. The dosage can be put into a glass together with another product, mixed and after about 5 min. slowly into the streaming of your tank.

You can dose 1 to max. 4 ml Coral Snow per 100L/25gallons tank water daily.

Coral Snow neutralizes undesirable acids and is a solution against e.g. slime algae and cyano bacteria.
Therefore take Corals Snow and add 1 drop of ZEObak per 100L/25 gallons tank water each 2nd day.

The cloudiness in the water is harmless for all fish as well as sensitive corals.

SPONGE POWER

Enhanced growth of sponges and sea squirt support their water cleaning character and thus water quality significantly.
SPS corals get longer colored growing tips.
Especially purple is enhanced on all SPS.
The recovery of harmed corals is highly improved.

Dosing: 1 drop for 25 gallons or 1 ml for 500 gallons daily.

I agree with this 100% and it's what I would also recommend.
Colin, what salt are you using now?

Greg

Last edited by Snappy; 08-16-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:17 PM

i'm back to IO

my tank setup
Old 08-16-2008, 08:48 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Great Post Oceanic, I've often heard of borate issues with salt but was unaware it was that bad in Seachem. I thought with Seachen salt we had found a new alternative high end salt.

Again sorry for your losses Colin.

J
Old 08-16-2008, 08:57 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
Great Post Oceanic, I've often heard of borate issues with salt but was unaware it was that bad in Seachem. I thought with Seachen salt we had found a new alternative high end salt.

Again sorry for your losses Colin.

J
Thanks! I think Seachem is a pretty good salt; however, 1.2 - 1.3 has to be deducted from our standard ALK tests due to the borate concentration of the product.

Instant Ocean is a very good salt; however, I do add magnesium to the fresh batch before it goes into my tank. Instant Ocean is also low in potassium and needs to be supplimented especially when running ZEOvit or Fauna Marin.

I don't change anything I do with my tank if it proves to be working. Why fix it when it ain't broke?