Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 01-24-2007, 07:09 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

How about just a 'bump' to the thread requesting pic. this last one I totally missed

J
Old 01-24-2007, 07:10 PM

Chaotic Cricket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc16 View Post
although limited edition sps are not common i still love to see peoples pictures of them. if the competition becomes too common of a subject then the entries will be enormous, just my 2 cents
Then more people would feel less marginalized
Old 01-24-2007, 08:58 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
How about just a 'bump' to the thread requesting pic. this last one I totally missed

J
I second that, I missed it too . Then again i was too busy wondering where my pic for Dec potm went

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

It was a sticky at the top of the pictures forum. Do you guys need occasional bumps to get it into the "new posts" list of threads?

Just checking cause we can do that if need be.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:16 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

I don't know how easy this would be but.............is it possible to track the pictures that are posted in various threads on the board in a given month? A lot of people will not "enter" their picture in a contest for various reasons but probably mostly because they don't think it is very good.
I just thought that if there was a way to track the photos that do get posted and then have them all "collected" somehow for voting on by membership it might be a way to see more people's photos get recognition????
Heck I don't know.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Too much work IMO. I barely have enough time to make random useless posts and collect pics for the TOTM that happens every TWO months.

Good idea though. I think for now it will be via submission only. We're working on a better notification method though. Oh you'll be alerted alright

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:48 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

It is a lot of work, I agree. But if the Mods in charge see a random pic that qualifies they could add it to the selections. Or just Pm the person to make them add it.

Next month, I will submit a pic no matter what the theme is. Perhaps a lot of people were just to busy over the holiday's to participate.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041

Last edited by danny zubot; 01-24-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 AM

Diana is on a distinguished road

I personally felt too intimidated to enter the "most colorful sps" one because I feel there are so many beautiful sps colonies out there that put my measly monitpora to shame. So I thought I might be "laughed at" to even attempt to enter such a blah coral into a "most colorful coral" contest.

I know its just me being weird, but I was put off a little by the category mainly cus I dont have a sps tank. So yeah I do think a lot of people were 'left out' of this month's contest, and not that its a bad thing- not everyone will always be able to enter, but there are many who do not have sps.

Also, I just wanted to clarify for myself, what is being judged really in a photo? Is it the subject or the quality of the photo? Cus I know many photo contests that are of the most ordinary of things but its the photo quality itself that counts. In this contest it seems its more about content.... and not so much the sharpness or contrast of a photo.

Just wondering.

-Diana

Old 01-25-2007, 02:19 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc16 View Post
although limited edition sps are not common i still love to see peoples pictures of them. if the competition becomes too common of a subject then the entries will be enormous, just my 2 cents
Well, perhaps a massive amount of entries will just jack up the competiton If the POTM contest never includes "too common..a subject", people who are new to the hobby will rarely get a chance to participate.

Just my opinions, though. Carry on...

Edit: Perhaps it would also be helpful if you guys could post a list of previous POTM contests, so we can try something new.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Last edited by Der_Iron_Chef; 01-25-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:04 AM

Manny is on a distinguished road

I missed it as well, it might be because I only look at the newest post thingy on the home page. I never really look at the actual forums.

it's not the size of the fish, it's the motion in the ocean!