Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
Could be dead too or dying, I know when they die they turn to goo pretty quick. Like a white bodily fluid looking goo sick..
Well its out of my tank now so it won't be throwing any more of those yucky stuff :P Cause way too much trouble and my tank is a bit mess now. Couldn't fix it yesterday since it was late and had to come to university today so couldn't fix it either. Flows are messed up, torch is messed up (I had to shorten the skeleton since it was standing so tall that the flow hitting it was too hard) and the maxi-mini started to shift its place!!!! Man its such a mess thanks to the brittle star :@

I have hardly being able to enjoy the aquarium in the last 4months :'( and had to put in my hand almost every single day!!! Is it normal or I am just doing it wrong?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Well its out of my tank now so it won't be throwing any more of those yucky stuff :P Cause way too much trouble and my tank is a bit mess now. Couldn't fix it yesterday since it was late and had to come to university today so couldn't fix it either. Flows are messed up, torch is messed up (I had to shorten the skeleton since it was standing so tall that the flow hitting it was too hard) and the maxi-mini started to shift its place!!!! Man its such a mess thanks to the brittle star :@

I have hardly being able to enjoy the aquarium in the last 4months :'( and had to put in my hand almost every single day!!! Is it normal or I am just doing it wrong?
Normal! Always something to fidget with, move around, remove, reglue, catch....non stop. I have days like this too, hang in there, it gets better!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Normal! Always something to fidget with, move around, remove, reglue, catch....non stop. I have days like this too, hang in there, it gets better!
Thanks for the hope

I simply can't seem to get everything right (other than the water parameters which are all in check), particularly the flow! And the torch + the maxi mini seems to be the most sensitive ones.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Then stop fidgeting for a while. I find when I feel overwhelmed or frustrated, I leave the tanks alone, maintenance only. I also got panicky over everything, maybe still do to some degree... Deal with whatever is going on in your tank when you can today, then leave it. I'm learning KISS is the best rule for everything and seeing positive things as a result!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
I'd look at trying to get away from that I think I put my hand in the tank once in September, and that was just to grab a frag for someone. I enjoy it much more now compared to years past where I was always in the tank

My typical routine is wipe front glass when I get home from work, clean skimmer every weekend, water change every other Monday, and that's about it. Feed fish when I'm looking at tank.

Once you get it settled, you'll have to play in it much less, and look at it a lot more.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

ive always told everyone simple is best, its like a garden if you keep tearing up the soil your plants arnt gonna grow.

im not in the tank unless i have to be.

ive never seen you post your parameters what are they??

salinity
temp
nitrate
phos
alk,calcium,magnesium
amonia

and what are you testing these with??
Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Salinity: 1.025 (refractometer)
Temp: (fixed) a bit higher than 78 but less than 79 (in-aqua thermo)
Nitrate: undetectable by API
Phos: undetectable by Seachem
Alk: starts with 12 and drops to 11 before doing water change (with API)
Calc: 420ppm (starts with 440ppm with new WC) (API)
Mag: Never measured this
Ammonia: undetectable by API

I don't dose anything, just do water change every weekend (sat/sun depending on the schedule of my other works).

It's so frustrating seeing something that needs a hand/adjustment in the aquarium and just leaving it alone Particularly the flow; I still can't get hold of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
ive always told everyone simple is best, its like a garden if you keep tearing up the soil your plants arnt gonna grow.

im not in the tank unless i have to be.

ive never seen you post your parameters what are they??

salinity
temp
nitrate
phos
alk,calcium,magnesium
amonia

and what are you testing these with??
Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I'd look at trying to get away from that I think I put my hand in the tank once in September, and that was just to grab a frag for someone. I enjoy it much more now compared to years past where I was always in the tank

My typical routine is wipe front glass when I get home from work, clean skimmer every weekend, water change every other Monday, and that's about it. Feed fish when I'm looking at tank.

Once you get it settled, you'll have to play in it much less, and look at it a lot more.
I just hope that time comes soon. I always feel like I am doing things the wrong way even when everything is all opened up and seems normal. It's like I can't even tolerate one small bit of food being left on the substrate without removing it. Maybe its just because of my keenness to perfection when it comes to the tank.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 PM

How long has your tank been running for? I'm sorry if you've posted this, but how big is the tank? What are you using for flow?

I found my 55 settled around the 9 month mark and is my favorite tank atm. My 180 is still driving me crazy, been set up since March this year. Tanks are really like babies in their first year, takes a long time for them to mature and that's what keeps me keep the 180 going, knowing at some point things will turn around.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
How long has your tank been running for? I'm sorry if you've posted this, but how big is the tank? What are you using for flow?

I found my 55 settled around the 9 month mark and is my favorite tank atm. My 180 is still driving me crazy, been set up since March this year. Tanks are really like babies in their first year, takes a long time for them to mature and that's what keeps me keep the 180 going, knowing at some point things will turn around.
Haha its ok

My tank is just a 20 long and it has been running for like close to 4 month.

I guess by the time this tank matured, I will hopefully get over with my graduation, get a job and upgrade the tank :P