Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Brittle star spawed!!!!!!!! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90397)

mrhasan 10-04-2012 06:05 AM

Brittle star spawed!!!!!!!!

After coming back home today, I noticed that my brittle star pulled out the feather duster out of the substrate and was wrapping its legs around it :| I was like WTH!!! I was thinking of taking the star out because it was growing too big and too ugly for my tank and now I had the excuse to actually take it out. So tried to grab it but in the first attempt, a part of its leg came off :| Afterwards, I was able to pull it out of the tank. When I turned on the light to check whether everything is alright, I saw the whole tank filled with mucus :O I tried to clean it manually as much as I can but I am pretty sure there are some of those mucus left (very sticky). So I guess it spawned!

Now I am even more worried since I really don't want hundreds of these ugly stars in my tank :| What should I do? Do a big water change? I really don't want any more brittle star! The one I had didn't do anything to be honest :|

Enigma 10-04-2012 01:12 PM

I'm. It sure how they reproduce, so I can't make any recommendations there.

A big water change would be in order, I think. Do you run carbon?

mrhasan 10-04-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma (Post 752072)
I'm. It sure how they reproduce, so I can't make any recommendations there.

A big water change would be in order, I think. Do you run carbon?

Three bags (regular carbon of aqua clear and two chemi pure). :p

Aquattro 10-04-2012 02:54 PM

Not sure their legs just pull off that easily, sounds more like it's dying and fouling the tank.

mrhasan 10-04-2012 02:57 PM

The pull was quite hard on the leg since it was attached itself to a rock. After pulling out the leg, the bugger showed its disk and I quickly grabbed it by the disk.

Flash 10-04-2012 03:56 PM

i have seen these things spawn... that doesn't sound like spawn. i even have it on video from when i worked at blueworld!! might have just been pooping.

mrhasan 10-04-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 752110)
i have seen these things spawn... that doesn't sound like spawn. i even have it on video from when i worked at blueworld!! might have just been pooping.

I hope so. I really don't want these crawlers all over my aquarium :|

Nano 10-04-2012 06:17 PM

Could be dead too or dying, I know when they die they turn to goo pretty quick. Like a white bodily fluid looking goo ;) sick..

mrhasan 10-04-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 752153)
Could be dead too or dying, I know when they die they turn to goo pretty quick. Like a white bodily fluid looking goo ;) sick..

Well its out of my tank now so it won't be throwing any more of those yucky stuff :P Cause way too much trouble and my tank is a bit mess now. Couldn't fix it yesterday since it was late and had to come to university today so couldn't fix it either. Flows are messed up, torch is messed up (I had to shorten the skeleton since it was standing so tall that the flow hitting it was too hard) and the maxi-mini started to shift its place!!!! Man its such a mess thanks to the brittle star :@

I have hardly being able to enjoy the aquarium in the last 4months :'( and had to put in my hand almost every single day!!! Is it normal or I am just doing it wrong?

Coralgurl 10-04-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 752156)
Well its out of my tank now so it won't be throwing any more of those yucky stuff :P Cause way too much trouble and my tank is a bit mess now. Couldn't fix it yesterday since it was late and had to come to university today so couldn't fix it either. Flows are messed up, torch is messed up (I had to shorten the skeleton since it was standing so tall that the flow hitting it was too hard) and the maxi-mini started to shift its place!!!! Man its such a mess thanks to the brittle star :@

I have hardly being able to enjoy the aquarium in the last 4months :'( and had to put in my hand almost every single day!!! Is it normal or I am just doing it wrong?

Normal! Always something to fidget with, move around, remove, reglue, catch....non stop. I have days like this too, hang in there, it gets better!