Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 09-25-2012, 02:11 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxboy View Post
Very good retro on the lights and the only thing being "cured" should be the rocks lol
Oops pun attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Those lights look awesome and complicated! Amazing how it all fits in there
Thanks, both of you.

I was mucking around with something called the "Marine Compatibility Guide" (http://www.marinecompatibilityguide.com/) yesterday, and I think I worked out a potential stocking list. The screenshot is above. I chose "25 gallons" when working through it, as I find that many times the minimum recommended tank size for fish is pretty generous.

The way it works is that you start with one fish, then "Find Compatible Fish," choose another fish, find more fish, choose more fish, . . . it is pretty neat. In reading through care information with regards to the chosen fish, and where they live in the tank, I think it looks alright.

I think the Pygmy Wrasse will be very hard to find. To complicate things further, if I stock this with fish I would like to find all of the fish from the same source, at the same time, and before any corals of inverts are added to the system. That way, if I need to do hypo, PraziPro or Paraguard, I can do it in the cycled display. I've had a couple of very unsettling events in my QT in the last month.

It returned four Wrasse options for me: Pygmy, Yellow Banded Possum, White Banded Possum, and Pink Streaked.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 PM

I'm playing around with the guide some more, with the tank size set to 15 gallons. It will let me choose all of the same fish, but it won't give me the option to add a clownfish.

I entered all of my stock for my 40 gallon into it . . . and I got a great big note on the screen telling me that a 40 gallon was not appropriate for one of the fish (it isn't, and I know this).

Overall, a very neat tool.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

This system is looking bad-ass Shelley! Nice job on the LED.

Thanks for posting that link above. I've been playing around with it a bit here on my lunch break

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 PM

Thanks, Josh. I have nearly hit my limit when it comes to the work I've done on this thing. I've still got a couple of little things left to do, and I'm having a hard time finding the motivation.

I've decided that it is getting one of the MP10s off my 40B. I'm honestly not fond of the things . . . they just weren't the right choice for that system. I'm hoping it will work nicely on here.

The more I play around with that link the more I like it. The recommendations it gives appear to be really solid.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Thanks, Josh. I have nearly hit my limit when it comes to the work I've done on this thing. I've still got a couple of little things left to do, and I'm having a hard time finding the motivation.

I've decided that it is getting one of the MP10s off my 40B. I'm honestly not fond of the things . . . they just weren't the right choice for that system. I'm hoping it will work nicely on here.

The more I play around with that link the more I like it. The recommendations it gives appear to be really solid.

If you ever wanna get rid of an MP10... shoot me a pm..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
If you ever wanna get rid of an MP10... shoot me a pm..
When/if I get my Tunzes.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:52 PM

Soapy's posts of inspirational shots have inspired me to post my own.

I'm hoping to achieve a similar look with this build, though that is a 29 gallon.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Soapy's posts of inspirational shots have inspired me to post my own.

I'm hoping to achieve a similar look with this build, though that is a 29 gallon.
Oh hey, well reefwarz got me thinking about inspirational photos so it is just getting passed along. Good luck with your goals. Cheers.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

BTW, if you are specifically looking for that red monti cap like in the inspirational photo, I have some and could break you off a piece if you like. Of course it will have to be a trade or sale in order to comply with the rules...
Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapy View Post
BTW, if you are specifically looking for that red monti cap like in the inspirational photo, I have some and could break you off a piece if you like. Of course it will have to be a trade or sale in order to comply with the rules...
I have a green one that has a purple rim that I was going to try on the sandbed. But, the red would be awfully nice. A frag of the red one is something we can talk about later.