Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 AM

doch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
If you're going to use Zeolites you should be using Start and Bak too. That should really help you out.

If it makes you feel any better my tank is really trying to crash right now too...I hope I can stop it.

As much as I could use something to make me feel better about this right now, your pain will not be my cure. I feel for you. This morning I was ready to shut down the whole friggin' thing and sell it all. I'm sure I'll feel the same way tomorrow morning when all I want to do is sleep and I'm armpit deep in salt water.

But of course with the zeo... ZeoStart3, and ZeoBak... I've also got zeo food, but apparently that's not needed with ZS3...?

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I don't know anything about Start3...only ever used Start2. Like I said in your other thread though, if you're starting vodka dosing I would ditch the Zeo...I wouldn't do both. Plus, you're also using GFO. I'd say ditch Zeo, ramp up vodka as you ramp down GFO.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 AM

Yeah, I'm only going to dose vodka for 2-3 days. Once the Zeo is started up, I'll call it quits. I figured it can't hurt to give it a little kick start. Maybe I'm off on this.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

Old 10-04-2011, 02:56 PM

Well, I got home today to find the goodies that I ordered from my boy Steve at Red Coral E-town sitting in my living room! WHOOHOO!! I FINALLY have a successful bulb placement in my 10 of 10 slots. I broke 3 bulbs on the way to this moment (actually, I broke 1, my dog broke 1, and my buddy broke 1 - unbelievable)... thankfully this one made it! I received my new dart/snapper hybrid.... can't wait to get the new sump so I can hook it up. My zeo rocks are here... and this time I'm doing it right!! 3L of rocks, and now I've done my homework... should work out well this time.
AND>>> I finally got my tiger shark magnet.... WOW!!! I absolutely love it! The biggest mag float doesn't even compare! Well worth the price!!! You know the corners of the tank the the mag float doesn't touch??? This one annihilates the gunk in there. I also got a Sea Hare which will be a temporary bandaid fix for the hair algae, and 20 or so snails... I think that there are 10 Nasarius, and 10 Turbo, but I didn't actually count. This will get me on track to algae reduction while the Zeo is kicking in... I hope.

Anywho... Parameters are: PO4 - 0.00, Ca - 348 (I attribute this to operator error on the hanna... yesterday was 442 I think), and 162 ppm/~9dkH. She's coming around... and I'm feeling much better about this sometimes stinkin' hobby!!

Oh... and I'm having an after work drink with my fish. A beer for me, and a shot of Vodka for them!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I don't know anything about Start3...only ever used Start2. Like I said in your other thread though, if you're starting vodka dosing I would ditch the Zeo...I wouldn't do both. Plus, you're also using GFO. I'd say ditch Zeo, ramp up vodka as you ramp down GFO.

I do appreciate the advice/opinion, but since I've already bought all the Zeo equipment, I'm going to stick with it, and see what happens. For the time being, the GFO will stay.... and I'm going to buy a "No PO4" sign and stick it on my tank!! lol

Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ah, ok. I thought you were trying the vodka on a more permanent basis, that's why I suggested you ditch the Zeo. One or the other doesn't really matter, just not both! I've run Zeo and GFO together with no issues, but I understand if you ramp down on the GFO over a few months that the Zeo will work better. I think it's because the PO4 acts as food for certain parts of the Zeo system (that's an educated guess though).

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

Good to hear that you have 10 bulbs running now lol.... once you get er all stable again, come to Etown and Ill hook you up with a bunch of free frags to help fill out your tank!

Steve
Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCoralEdmonton View Post
Good to hear that you have 10 bulbs running now lol.... once you get er all stable again, come to Etown and Ill hook you up with a bunch of free frags to help fill out your tank!

Steve
From this super high end sps order that you expect this week? You're the best Steve! ;-)

That wrasse is SO AWESOME, BTW.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:48 PM

OK... quick update. After a 3 day bender, my fish are officially off the sauce. No more Vodka for them. For now at least. Zeoliths were rinsed and then soaked for 24 hours... and zeo is now running. Properly. 3h on, 3h off. Proper start up dosage. Proper amount of zeoliths. Sweet.

Anyways, only other thing that I did today is a water test:
Ca 370
kH 8.66 (and dropping)
PO4 0.02
Mg 2300 (no way that I trust this test kit. I hope)

I can't wait until hanna has a nitrate test kit. Why don't they yet? Shouldn't that one have been one of the first?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

oh btw the SPS should be here next week..... but seeing as how you wont make it til november the frags will have plenty of time to encrust up

Steve