Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 AM

apex82 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Nice colors... you got some really nice corals. My blue throat took about a week to warmup to me... but definately my fav. fish. You forgot some full tank shot and full room shots.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster Dan View Post
I really need to do something about all the blue cloves. I hate blue cloves, with a passion.
I am with you on that one. I had some growing around some zoa's and they were suffocating them. I was lucky and was able to take the rock out so i could scrub it and bath the clove polyps in vinegar with a syringe
Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Youngster Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex82 View Post
Nice colors... you got some really nice corals. My blue throat took about a week to warmup to me... but definately my fav. fish. You forgot some full tank shot and full room shots.
Yeah, I have had mine for about 2 weeks or so and he hides right away when I come near the tank. Silly boy, but he will warm up.

Here are some more photos I took last night, including some FTS.

My killer coral, I have lost at least 2 and 1/2 nice frags because I will have not secured a coral properly and they fall into this acan. It certainly doesn't play nice.

This was one of my first corals, that I got with two heads on it. I am constantly pruning it as it grows like crazy.

I like T5 shots reflecting off of the water. I had a big internal debate before purchasing this fixture, it was certainly cheaper than many halide fixtures and higher end 5 fixtures and the cost was the deciding factor before purchasing it. I was warned that I would have to keep my sps right at the top if I wanted to get good colour, and that I would probably regret only getting the 6 bulbs as opposed to 8. I am pretty happy with my decision, as I was able to save my pennies and put them towards other things such as the vortec and skimmer.

And some FTS's:

Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Looks great!! I love the black sand. That won't be the last things that orange acan kills. I find the orange acans to be the most aggressive. i've lost many corals, lps, zoas, sps, ricordea to mine. It now lives off on its own at one end of the tank, where it can't hurt anything.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Looks great!! I love the black sand. That won't be the last things that orange acan kills. I find the orange acans to be the most aggressive. i've lost many corals, lps, zoas, sps, ricordea to mine. It now lives off on its own at one end of the tank, where it can't hurt anything.

Yeah, it is probably time to move it. I put it right at the far side of my tank next to the overflow with the idea that it would be isolated from most corals. Unfortunately, it is also right bellow a pillar/overhang where pieces like to fall.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Sunee is on a distinguished road

Love your tank, the black sand really makes the colours pop!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunee View Post
Love your tank, the black sand really makes the colours pop!
Thanks, yeah it definitely does. I am surprised it is not more common.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

Looks great ! What brand /type of black sand is it?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 AM

I think I used this stuff:

I'm not going to lie, it was a bit of a pain getting the sand for a few different reasons.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:36 AM

Well, I unfortunately disassembled the tank today. My partner and I have gone separate ways, and I just can't look after the tank right at the moment. I owe a huge thanks to Spencer at Blue World Victoria, as all of my livestock is currently residing in one of his systems. This is a major stress relief, and now I can focus on other things rather than worrying if my fish tank will be ok.

The move was fast and furious, and I hope everything makes it ok. The fish looked like they were fine, whereas some of the sps looked less than pleased to have been moved.

On the bright side, I will get to set up the tank again fresh and I have some ideas to make things different. Plus, I get to aquascape again......