Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-25-2008, 06:19 AM

Powertec is on a distinguished road

Claude
\
You told me to pm you, I have done this three times, and still no reply.
You should know who I am from the Ultralith forum and you sent me pm on there as well when i first brought this to your attention.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:02 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
The issue has been addressed and validated since many moons ago. Bacterial driven systems, as in those which extend beyond Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter, have long achieved standing as legitimate, highly successful methods of recreating super low nutrient environments not possible through other means.
I am not sure what you are saying here, is it that using this additives (which ever flavor you want) is the only way to achieve a low nutrient system? or that by using these systems it is proven to have long term success?

from what I have been seeing and reading neither statement is accurate unless your a sales man trying to sell products.

1) there are plenty of ways to create nutrient free systems with basic equipment and no additives, and they have had amazing and long term success and are easy to do.

2) show me a long term success with Zeo or what ever? its only been here for a couple years how can you call that long term? and I don't care what there doing in Germany or Japan, as I have said before I am German, and have been there several times... So is VW and that doesn't spell quality either. German stuff is the same as Canadian stuff, some good, some crap and a bit awesome. how about some long term success tanks right here in Canada that is all because of Zeo or what ever?

I don't know why I read these sometimes, but I get so &*^% off at the "you can't have a nice tank with out using" sales pitches that are blatant lies because you can have just as nice of a tank with less work.

Ok I will stop my rant over and Merry Christmas to all. got to go play santa now

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I am not sure what you are saying here, is it that using this additives (which ever flavor you want) is the only way to achieve a low nutrient system? or that by using these systems it is proven to have long term success?

from what I have been seeing and reading neither statement is accurate unless your a sales man trying to sell products.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. There's a big difference between achieving low nutrient via chemical media filtration and probiotic. For one, I KNOW I can dump a full canister of flake into my SPS tank and now have a brown out or disasterous drop in ORP. Would I ever do this? No, but it lends credibility to the resilience of the system.

Quote:
1) there are plenty of ways to create nutrient free systems with basic equipment and no additives, and they have had amazing and long term success and are easy to do.
Yeah, and power to the people who care to use them. You don't need to use Kershaw or Henkel knives to cut your food, but I do and I'd never go back.

Quote:
2) show me a long term success with Zeo or what ever? its only been here for a couple years how can you call that long term? and I don't care what there doing in Germany or Japan, as I have said before I am German, and have been there several times... So is VW and that doesn't spell quality either. German stuff is the same as Canadian stuff, some good, some crap and a bit awesome. how about some long term success tanks right here in Canada that is all because of Zeo or what ever?
Look for Iwan's tank. It's fairly well know and had been set up for some time before he upgraded to a larger, even more mack-daddy tank, which has also been running long term. No offense to everyone who doesn't run probiotic, but his tank, and many others utilizing probiotic put many of the so-called iconic tanks to shame. Hard. But that's strictly an opinion and should be taken as such.

Zeo, VSV, Prodibio, etc have a limited pool of selection here in Canada because of the relatively high learning curve and formerly high costs associated with them. This is changing and, just like in the States (namely Cali), I expect to see a very pronouced movement towards this type of methodology. I'm including the use of VSV (vinegar, sugar, vodka) under this claim since the fundamentals are the same.

But I digress. For Canadians, check out Snappy's tank. Greg (correct me if I'm wrong man) has been a longtime user of Reefresh, a probiotic system developed by Polylabs. I, along with a great deal many others, have had the pleasure of seeing his system firsthand. It is worthy of every bit of praise and attention it receives worldwide.

Quote:
I don't know why I read these sometimes, but I get so &*^% off at the "you can't have a nice tank with out using" sales pitches that are blatant lies because you can have just as nice of a tank with less work.
Is this a personal attack? Cause calling me a liar, a BLATANT liar, seems like one. I was under that impression that moderators are here to prevent this sort of behavior.

If you are uncomfortable with people saying that there are different ways of doing things, that's fine. But expect that people are going to start treating your opinions as absent rheotorical, just as you seem to have made up your mind about my opinions.

Quote:
Ok I will stop my rant over and Merry Christmas to all. got to go play santa now

Steve
No more EGGNOG for you...
Old 12-25-2008, 01:41 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well the real facts are LNF systems have been around for over 10 years, with many tanks in Europe employing this highly successful system (s)

If you want to look for long term success, just spend an hour scrolling through the German boards, you will find multiple LNF systems

Just because a product has not been in North America that long does not mean either it does not work or is new and should be overlooked like some sort of alien, North America seems to be the last place on earth to embrace new ideas in this hobby and I think a lot of that comes from the unwillingness to go outside a set comfort zone.

Whether you use Fauna or zeo or what ever they are all proven to work and when used as directed produce results that really cant be acheived in any other way. It is then up to the interested party to embrace this or bury our heads back in the sand hoping it will go away so we can get back to our comfort zone.

Yes you can have a nice tank without using these systems, but you also can have a much more vibrant healthy and colourful tank when using them. You need to understand the concept first I guess to understand this. You are removing all unnatural pollutants from the tank and replacing with the exact aminos bacterias and trace elements found in the wild, so providing a natural enviroment, well this is how fauna works and I think zeo is not far different, they just employ different dosing strategies and a few different concepts.

Merry christmas one and all

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 12-25-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:24 PM

[quote=albert_dao;371420]Is this a personal attack? Cause calling me a liar, a BLATANT liar, seems like one. I was under that impression that moderators are here to prevent this sort of behavior.

quote]

Nope not at all and not directed at you, but rather the ones where I have been in a LFS (not necessarily in Victoria either) and overheard the sales people telling newbies that you cannot have a nice tank unless you buy this (brand X). it is a blatant lie and as far as I am concerned it is taking advantage. I know the world is buyer beware and that we should educate ourselves, but this is why you see so many new people start up tanks with all this top notch equipment and then 3 months later there selling everything off for less than 50% of what they have paid.

My main problem with these methods isn't that you don't need them or they do or don't work, but rather that they make having a tank so labor extensive. I know Aqua is going to re-mention the pump system, but there is an extra 800ish on top of the rest. so for some one on a budget is isn't feasible.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 12-25-2008, 02:52 PM

I agree 100% it should NOT be sold as the saviour of the reefing world, it is for people with dedicated LPS and SPS systems that want to go the extra mile.

In regards to labour intensive, I would have to disagree - You feed your fish daily right? maybe twice a day, so how much more effort is it to put a couple of ML of nutrients in tha tank at the same time, Hmmm 1 minute a day extra at the most. But in saying that i am talking about one system only maybe the other is more labour intensive but I wont go down that road as i will be accused of marketing
Old 12-25-2008, 03:57 PM

deep6er is on a distinguished road

Lets see some pictures to back up your statements.

Some before and after pics would be nice.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:58 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

I think the most labor intensive part is that you can't readily miss a few days while you go away for the weekend for example. Most fish will be fine without food for a couple days. And if I needed to be away for longer than a couple days I could quite easily have someone feed my fish specific quantities of food. However I would be worried (unless I had another ULNS hobbyist sitting for my tank) that someone could easily mis-dose my tank.

I've long wanted to try the Fauna range of products for ULNS but my experience with VSV in the past coupled with my frequent travel schedule always left me concerned while I was away with someone else dosing my tank. I could very well automate things with an additional dosing system but a) I'd still be worried about malfunctioning of the dosing system and b) the cost of the dosing system would leave me having to wonder if it was justified in comparison to the results attained without it.

The great results obtained with several of the ULNS are very appealing. And I agree that as they become more mainstream with better customer service/support --> improved understanding and knowledge there will continue to be transition towards their use. The uncertainty about things like potassium dosing and the lack of any quality test kits to obtain valid and reliable results does make me a little leary about dosing those things in my tank however. Hopefully continued use of ULNS will contribute to greater understanding about a lot of the essential components and weed out some of the unnecessary ones.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 12-25-2008, 04:55 PM

I hope that backs up the statement pretty well, but if not I have a library full of users tanks that all use this system.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post

In regards to labour intensive, I would have to disagree - You feed your fish daily right? maybe twice a day,
actualy no, every 3rd day. If I have to do anything daily I wouldn't have a tank. I go away to much for a couple days to a couple weeks to have to do daily stuff, thats why I am looking at the proflux and balling set up for the new tank.

Steve