Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Zeovit vs. Fauna Marin (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45578)

martym 10-06-2008 05:50 PM

Zeovit vs. Fauna Marin

Which system is better? Now that's a loaded question :). Can I get some feed back from those of you who have run either system What you like/didn't like. Did it make a difference.
I am looking at it for a 50g SPS tank.
Thank you

Tom R 10-06-2008 06:24 PM

Hi Martym

As I have not used both product I can not say which is better. I have used ZEOvit for the last 2 years and I have been more than happy with the results. I always had a problem of keeping my water perimeter in line and ZEOvit has helped my maintain my parameters at a steady controlled level. My growth and colour have also been well enhanced.
The cost is expensive however there is a savings from not using a number of other additives.

If you are serious about using ZEOvit then go to ZEOvit.com for your research.

Tom R

christyf5 10-06-2008 08:17 PM

I used FM for about 6 months or so. After the first ultralith rock change I experienced a brownout of corals that was never really fully explained. I continued with the product and coral colors rebounded after about 2 months now (about 3 months into using the product). Any subsequent rock changes were done without any problems and I never did figure out what happened. During the time I ran FM, I never saw the great colors that were experienced by others, some corals were looking pretty good but they mostly looked like they had before I started using the product. During this time I had heard about a couple of zeovit products, Coral Snow and Pohls Coral Vitalizer, and decided to incorporate those into my daily dosing. I'd say within 7-10 days (no lie) I saw my corals start to color up like they hadn't done with the FM product. I continued on with FM as I wanted to give it a full 6 month trial. However close to the end of the trial a zeovit reactor with some supplements became available to me for a really good deal and I jumped on it.

I'm into my 3rd week with zeovit now, corals are getting more colorful each week it seems. I'll give zeovit the same 6 month trial but for sure I think its doing better than the FM although its too early to tell and I'm not yet at that first rock change.

Now I'm not saying that FM isn't the one for you, it just wasn't the one for me. I found that when I was running it there wasn't much support out there for it online. Someone had started a website (www.ultralith.com) however it is poorly supported. There is also a FaunaMarin forum now at ReefCentral which has better support. At the time I was having problems it was like pulling teeth to get some help. However, some people certainly have great success with ultralith, there are many photos of successful tanks online. Wendell at Ocean Aquatics was running it on his SPS display tank and the colors were incredible. I just was unable to achieve that. I strongly suspect I might have without the brownout at the first rock change. It was just taking too long to see results and I felt I was just pouring money into something that wasn't working for me.

Anyway thats my fifty cents :wink:

martym 10-06-2008 08:57 PM

Thank you

Fauna Marin 10-07-2008 09:56 PM

Hi

ultrlith.com was made by private people and they were not able to give us the site so we can make the support which was necessary.
It needs some time till we can organize our distribution and
support in north america.
Now we have in reef central our bord and i look also here in that great forum all 2 days.

Fauna Marin is different then Zeolith cause our Ultralith System is only a part of our pröoduct range . We alsocreate and developed special foods and our system are made for mix tanks with a wide range of corals and fish and not only sps corals
With a special dosing you can also achive great coloration but this needs also time and diszciplin to get good results
Even during changes it can need some time till the water levels wil be
so good to get the good resulst

Feel free to ask here whenever you want
greets claude

OceanicCorals-Ian- 10-08-2008 12:57 AM

Just thought I’d chime in here with my own experience and observations on both systems.

First, a quick debriefing on the one issue that seems to have kept most people out of Probiotic methodologies for so long:

Cost comparisons between Zeovit System from Korallen-Zucht and Ultralith from Fauna-Marin

Zeovit Basic 4:

Zeovit Media 1L: $14.45 (J&L)
Zeofood 50 mL: $15.95 (J&L)
Zeobak 10 mL: $15.95 (J&L)
Zeostart 250mL: $35.95(J&L)

We’ll make the calculation for a 120 gallon tank, assuming 100 gallon is the net water volume. Dosing would be as follows:

Media Exchange: 1 L every 6 to 8 weeks.
Zeofood7: 4 drops per day
Zeostart2: 0.8mL per day
Zeobak: 4 drops once a week

Each mL approximately contains 20 drops

Zeofood7: 0.2 mL per day
Zeobak: 0.2 mL per week

At this rate:

Zeofood 50 mL: $15.95 (J&L) 250 doses /30 = $1.91 per month
Zeobak 10 mL: $15.95 (J&l) 50 doses /5 doses per month= $1.60 per month
Zeostart 250mL: $35.95(J&l) 312 doses = $3.46 per month
Zeovit Media 1 L: $14.45 for 6 week = $10.32 per month

Total costs for 100 gallon net water volume: $17.29 per month

This is the Stage 1 & 2 the system, once established and at Stage 3, you will reduce dosing and, subsequently, the cost to pretty damn near only 70% of this figure.

Ultralith Basic 4:

UltraBio 50 ml: $56.03 (Progressive Reef)
Ultralith 1l: $19.07 (Progressive Reef)
Ultramin S 100ml: $26.28 (Progressive Reef)
Ultrabak 100ml: $26.28 (Progressive Reef)

Again, we’ll make the calculation for that same 120gallon tank, assuming 100 gallon is the net water volume:

Media Exchange: 1 liter every 6 to 8 weeks.
UltraBio: 8 drops twice a week
Ultramin S: .8ml per day
Ultrabak: 1.6ml once a day

Each CC approximately contains 20 drops

UltraBio 50 ml: $56.03 (Progressive Reef) 125 doses / 17= $7.62 per month
Ultralith 1l: $19.07 (Progressive Reef) for 6 weeks = $13.62 per month
Ultramin S 100ml: $26.28 (Progressive Reef) 125 doses= $6.31 per month
Ultrabak 100ml: $26.28 (Progressive Reef) 62 doses = $12.72 per month

Total costs for 100 gallon net water volume: $40.27 per month.

So basically, Ultralith, for the same size tank, cost almost 233% more. Actually, while doing the calculations, this was a shocker to me since I was told that Ultralith is a cheaper system.

In addition, as per the Ultralith manual, you have to soak the media one week in advance while changing the water several times to rinse it. With Zeovit you just rinse and it’s ready to go.

Overall, I find the Zeovit system easier to apply.

Here’s another costs differential – Startup kits (no reactor):

Zeovit: $82.30 J&L
Ultralith: $127.66 Progressive Reef

With both systems, you’ll want a reactor and you can get a complete Zeovit system for $199.95 from J&L including a Reactor (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=zv-00p151).
If you buy the same reactor from J&L (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...uct_ID=vt-zr15) then tack on the Ultralith, you’re looking at $267.61.

Finally, where a review really counts, my own personal experience:

As stated earlier, my first foray into Probiotic systems was with Ultralith, purchased by merit of hearsay on the forums claiming that the costs would be significantly lower than Zeovit. I ran the system for over three months with little result other than slightly reduced nutrient levels. This wasn’t really at par with my expectations. But before throwing the towel, I figured I’d double back and try the Zeovit system (I had really good experiences with KZ’s Coral Vitalizer and Coral Snow), which I have now been running for a little over six months.

Here’s what I can say; after only four weeks of switching out the Ultralith media with Zeovit media and running the new additives (basic 4 only), I began to see amazing results. My algae started to rapidly die off, my corals both exhibited noticeably increased color and polyp extension.

I believe that Zeovit has a lot more going for it as a Probiotic system. It’s been around longer, it’s tried and proven across many reef tanks across many countries and more readily available.

I personally prefer the Zeovit system, as I have a mixed reef and don’t like the pale look of corals people get from other probiotic systems. With Zeovit, I have been getting amazing colors & polyp extension beyond what I expected from the system initially.

I hope this helps. All calculations based off manufacturer’s guides and observations are IME.

BC Mosaic 10-08-2008 03:02 AM

Good post and info Oceanic Corals.
Much appreciated.

christyf5 10-08-2008 04:14 AM

Oceanic, I think you'll find it much cheaper if you price the ultralith from Ocean Aquatics. I think I had it priced out at around $30 a month for 100gal net water volume.

Also Ultralith doesn't have to be run using a reactor, or you can run it in a phosban reactor if you choose.

Canadian 10-08-2008 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanicCorals (Post 350656)

First, a quick debriefing on the one issue that seems to have kept most people out of Probiotic methodologies for so long:

In my opinion, the issue that keeps even more people from reliably using a probiotic system is that it is incredibly labor intensive. I've gone out of my way to automate evaporative top-off, Ca, Alk dosing. Why would I then add a husbandry practice that requires tedious daily dosing? I could forego the costs of the dosing pumps, and auto top-off if I chose to stand around the tank in the morning and dose a bunch of probiotic supplements.

I know all the probiotic proponents will say things like "Well when you're feeding your fish daily it only takes a couple more minutes to dose the additives." or "Probiotic systems are not for 'lazy' hobbyists." Unfortunately, I regularly have to go out of town for the weekend or longer and I don't want to have to rely on someone else to dose several additives. When I've tried vodka dosing in the past I always felt guilty about having to miss days of dosing when I was away and didn't have a tank-sitter.

I like my tank and I like to tinker (sometimes too much) but I don't want to HAVE to do something daily at the risk of some potential negative consequences - I have enough stress at work. I don't want my hobby to be a source of stress. So I guess probiotic systems are for those people who can devote the time and aren't worried about the incurred expenses.

Sorry for the off topic post. I just wanted to make it clear that while many of us look at probiotic tanks and like what we see and aren't concerned about the costs, we just don't have the patience for the tedium of daily dosing.

Fauna Marin 10-08-2008 07:56 AM

Hi Oceanic

Thanks for your costs calculation but i think there is something not correct.

First of all it depends on the situation how much you need of the products to get the results.

As sample Ultra Bio or Bak
This products need mostly only for 2 month en then never or
with very very low dosings
so you can use Ultra Bio as sample for 400 days with one bottle

Min S the same the most reefers use after longer time may 0.5 ml/1000 Liter !!!! a day
which means one bottle good for 500 days with a 260 gallon tank
only during the beginning or if you have a change you need a little bit more
as sample 3 ml / 1000 Liter not on 100 liters

So you cannot make a calculation on that way
the same is that the starter kits that we produce have 2 Liter media in not only 1 and we have also other sizes of bottles.

The Ultralith System is a little bit different following a littel other ideas and animals it is more for mix tanks and more in direction natural colors
We did not work with high copper dosings or such things which make the corals very fast very white .
No problem to create such a product but this i not our line
greets claude