Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: How are you dealing with the summer heat?
Chiller 18 9.78%
AC 48 26.09%
Fans 54 29.35%
Nothing 54 29.35%
Other 10 5.43%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2008, 03:54 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
Just curious, how many of you react to the thermometer and not the tank inhabitants?
I have one tank that doesn't have a thermometer on it and I can go for a month without checking the other 2 . Having said that when the heat gets to the point where I feel a need to turn the AC on (usually when it goes above 25) then I check on the big tank to make sure the temp hasn't gone too high.

So to answer your question its not the tank inhabitants but how hot I'm feeling that makes me react

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-18-2008, 04:03 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

The 1 month old Lifegard Time & Temp I put on my FOWLR says it's at 45.1F. I know my chiller isn't THAT powerful. POS Time & Temp.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:13 AM

Brent F is on a distinguished road

I live in Calgary where it rarely gets hot outside and have central air as well. Tank never gets hot.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:23 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Definitely the tank inhabitants, I know what my tank can take and what it can't and usually freaking out just makes it worse with my too quick solutions. Heat swings are the worst for a tank esp big ones and in that case a slow fix is better. I usually try to have my fingers in the tank every day (usually have to massage the ultralith stones anyways) so I can tell whether my chiller has blown a fuse or not
Ok so how hot is too hot? and doesnt it take a little while for the bleaching to occur? so that by the time the coral looks sick its too late?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

I came home yesterday to find my tank in the high 80's.........some corals didnt like it much and you could tell just looking at them.........I put some ice cubes in the sump and lowered the temp. the corals perked up with in 30 minutes......I have someone at home today to keep an eye on it.....
Old 08-18-2008, 05:31 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

My tank is in the basement so even during the hottest days it never really gets over 81Deg.

Last summer I tried a nano on the upperlevel but gave up becuase I could not keep it below 85 on hot days.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 08-18-2008, 07:41 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

My SPS tank has hit 88 the last few days but the majority of the corals appear fine. The only thing that looked like it hated it was the popsicle pocci that had some RTN two weeks ago after I moved my tank. But it was already stressed so I'm not surprised that the added stress of the heat caused it to start bleaching.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 08-18-2008, 09:31 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

I use a fan on a timer with the light but sometimes it almost gets to cold on cool days
Old 08-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
Ok so how hot is too hot? and doesnt it take a little while for the bleaching to occur? so that by the time the coral looks sick its too late?
I dunno, routinely my tank sits at about 78-79. The tank has gone up to 85 a couple of times this summer when the chiller fuse has blown and I haven't had any losses. Too hot = when it feels like bathwater. Usually I put my hand in and go ahhhh, nice. When its too hot I go argggh! stupid chiller! you suck!!!! and my husband rolls his eyes

The bleaching doesn't necessarily occur as the temp rises, sometimes it occurs on the way back to cool. Depends on how fast/slow you "fix" the temperature issue.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 AM

landshark is on a distinguished road
Default summer heat

I use a window A/C unit to keep cool. It has a built in thermostat. Set the temp, and walk away. My tanks only raise max. 1deg. on the hottest days. At around $200, it's an inexpensive way to keep one and all happy.